lower windscreen repair panel replacement

Restoring your MK2 back to factory standard, or need advice on getting rid of that spot of rust?
robmk2
OEM
Drives: 1992 MK2 GTI 16V

lower windscreen repair panel replacement

Postby robmk2 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:37 pm

hiya,
is the lower windscreen repair panel replacement a big job and what need to be taken out in order to do it please....is it a dash out job....my panel has the usual rust where the wiper bits come out.....also got rust in the front pillar that runs down to the scuttle panel.
many thanks
rob
0 x

Damien.wrl
Site Admin
Drives: an armchair

Re: lower windscreen repair panel replacement

Postby Damien.wrl » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:01 am

Pretty sure it’s major surgery , windscreen out and dash, rust there can also cause leaks
0 x

1988 Alpine White 35k mile OCD MK2 GTi ".................. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=128

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1986 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Postby eddypeck » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Yes dash out, but that's not a big deal and with the screen out you usual find out the rust goes back much further than first suspected.

Take a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=17988&p=118720&
0 x

TomRich
Dub Ninja
Drives: Golfs

Postby TomRich » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:42 am

Dash out isn't half as bad as people say, as Tim said.

Windscreen out (or back in, for that matter) isn't bad at all if you have a mate handy, but it's a bit awkward on your own unless you're very familiar with them or you're a windscreen fitter or something... I always get my man Trav to help out.

As for fitting the scuttle, it's gonna be a question of quality. It'll be easy to fit one, but how well it's done is the real question.

To line it up nicely and secure it properly and make it seamless and protect it on both sides to stop rust coming back where it's been welded and so on, is a fair job which will need some care and attention.

You'll want a decent gas MIG welder, which you are proficient with, an angle grinder, I often find a dremel or die grinder handy also for precision cutting and any corners, most likely a spot weld drill bit, and a few clamps or magnets to position the replacement panel properly.

If it was me doing it at the shop for a customer, I'd farm it out to a body shop if that helps.

Colour Concept up North, VW Autobodies down South, there's plenty about that know Mk2's well enough.
0 x

sly_gti
VW Bug
Drives: Mk2 2.0 8v

Postby sly_gti » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:01 pm

Guess it also depends on how much it has gone.
If just a bit it maybe worth replacing/fixing that section.

That's how mate tackled mine.
0 x

Return to “Bodywork & Paintwork”