! Message from: vw-widow
Due to technically issues with this forum, we have created a new fresher looking forum - we are asking all members to register on https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum sorry for any inconvenience.

If your a paid member, once you have registered, pm vw-widow with your details, and you will be re-instated.

Build threads etc can be copied and pasted to the new site, sadly we couldn't merge the database.

This site will close on the 1st June 2020. All data will be deleted.
Thanks Admin

Seats and height adjustment

tabbie
VAG Rat
Drives: Early k-jet Gti

Seats and height adjustment

Postby tabbie » Thu May 07, 2020 8:44 pm

Hi an looking for some advice, I have some L/H drive 'Edition' seats in my mk2. As they are L/H drive the passenger seat is height adjustable but the driver side isn't.
I'd really like to make the driver side height adjustable also, am guessing all late spec UK mk2's driver seats are height adjustable and I can use a different base?
Do I need to use a 3dr seat base to match or are all seat bases the same?
Hope this makes sense thanks.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged
Drives: 1991 MK2 Golf GTI 8v

Re: Seats and height adjustment

Postby eddypeck » Thu May 07, 2020 11:20 pm

For late spec frames I think you will need 3dr base as I think they are different to 5 dr.

The good news you don’t need GTI seats, any late spec should do (as long as height adjustable) The bolster frames on late spec are in the foam part, whereas early cars the seat bases were different.
0 x

tabbie
VAG Rat

Postby tabbie » Fri May 08, 2020 9:48 am

eddypeck wrote:For late spec frames I think you will need 3dr base as I think they are different to 5 dr.

The good news you don’t need GTI seats, any late spec should do (as long as height adjustable) The bolster frames on late spec are in the foam part, whereas early cars the seat bases were different.

Thank you for your reply Eddy,
I shall start looking for a 3dr height adjustable base or complete seat then.
Heritage sell new foam bases but not GTI unfortunately, but I'll worry about that at a later date.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Fri May 08, 2020 5:40 pm

As far as I know heritage only sell foam for early GTI, that’s because it’s just foam. The early GTI seats had the bolster rail in the seat base and the foam sits on top. Therefore Sports and standard seats Required different metal bases. I assume for cost saving the later seats all used the same basic base. The bolster frames for sports seats were within the foam, therefore making reproduction more difficult. I’m not aware of anyone doing reproduction late spec GTI bases.

Passenger bases generally get less wear and tear and thankfully the foam and upholstery is transferable. If you see a good deal on a pair of front seats it might be worth getting both for spare parts depending on what you need.
1 x

tabbie
VAG Rat

Postby tabbie » Sun May 10, 2020 12:22 pm

Am alittle bit confused because the height adjustment handle is near the gear lever am I right that my seats are pre-1990 and need a different base/ earlier?

0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Sun May 10, 2020 5:24 pm

Oh, that’s an early seat.

On a RHD car that handle is near the door. I wonder if someone had previously used a RHD base???

You’d need to find someone else with a LHD car and compare.

Later spec seats the height adjustment handle is like a big ejection seat grab lever.
0 x

tabbie
VAG Rat

Postby tabbie » Sun May 10, 2020 5:37 pm

eddypeck wrote:Oh, that’s an early seat.

On a RHD car that handle is near the door. I wonder if someone had previously used a RHD base???

You’d need to find someone else with a LHD car and compare.

Later spec seats the height adjustment handle is like a big ejection seat grab lever.

Yes after comparing seats on the net I thought mine are early seats, hopefully I can still source a r/h driver adjustable height base.
Fingers crossed these foam replacements should be ok then Eddy? https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/seat-base- ... 3674-p.asp
My seats are from a lhd car as my original seats were knackered. I understand what your saying now about the lhd seat tho I'd need to check.
0 x

eddypeck
Supercharged

Postby eddypeck » Sun May 10, 2020 9:10 pm

Yes the link you posted should be fine for early seats if in any doubt use the contact on that site. Mark carter runs classic vw he’s a helpful guy and will confirm Part numbers etc
0 x

tabbie
VAG Rat

Postby tabbie » Sun May 10, 2020 9:32 pm

eddypeck wrote:Yes the link you posted should be fine for early seats if in any doubt use the contact on that site. Mark carter runs classic vw he’s a helpful guy and will confirm Part numbers etc

I've emailed Mark he thinks its the correct foam.
I'll probably purchase it in the next few days. Am still chasing a early seat base.
Thank you Eddy your help is very much appreciated.
1 x

Return to “Interior, Upholstery and Trim”