Paint work October 05, 2026, 11:01:39 AM Hi,Does anyone on here paint cars on their drive or in their garage to a reasonable standard? I am looking at options around having my mk2 paint matched to the standard factory paint of Monza blue paint. The front wings and doors are still factory paint but at some point the rear end and roof have been painted a dark blue and its not a good finish. I cant afford a full show standard respray but would love it to at least all be the same colour and look decent.If anyone can comment on here or send me a PM I would love to have a discussion.Many ThanksMichael
Re: Paint work Reply #1 – October 05, 2026, 07:41:33 PM I know friends that painted there cars they never turned out well. The equipment they had was just not good enough. It also needs a lot of skill. I recently paid £1300 to have half the side of my car painted I am well pleased with the result.
Re: Paint work Reply #2 – October 06, 2026, 08:41:01 AM Quote from: scs on October 05, 2026, 07:41:33 PMI know friends that painted there cars they never turned out well. The equipment they had was just not good enough. It also needs a lot of skill. I recently paid £1300 to have half the side of my car painted I am well pleased with the result.Where was this carried out and by whom? Thanks
Re: Paint work Reply #3 – October 06, 2026, 09:51:22 AM Hi, a garage local to me in East Devon. What also you have to think about is humidity if the air is not dry you get a effect called micro blister which causes the paint to bubble after time as moisture is trapped under the new paint.
Re: Paint work Reply #4 – October 06, 2026, 04:51:23 PM Quote from: scs on October 06, 2026, 09:51:22 AMHi, a garage local to me in East Devon. What also you have to think about is humidity if the air is not dry you get a effect called micro blister which causes the paint to bubble after time as moisture is trapped under the new paint.Sent you a PM.
Re: Paint work Reply #5 – October 07, 2026, 10:43:05 AM Worth knowing that the colour match is the easy part. Monza Blue is a solid colour (no metallic), so a decent paint supplier can mix it from the paint code on your plate or by scanning a panel. The tricky bit is that your front wings and doors are 30-odd years old and will have faded a bit, so ask for it to be blended into the original panels rather than butted up against them. That's what makes the difference between "same colour" and "looks like two colours".If budget's tight, a good compromise is doing the prep yourself (stripping back the bad finish, sanding, dealing with any rust) and paying a small bodyshop just to spray it. Prep is where most of the labour cost is, and a lot of smaller places will quote on that basis. Worth getting a few quotes either way.