Skip to main content
Topic: Poly or OEM - rear axle/front cross member (Read 388 times) previous topic - next topic

Poly or OEM - rear axle/front cross member

Hi,
I'm dropping a skip load of stuff at the powder coaters this week for the mk2 and mk3 and now need to make a decision on bushes. I have read on forums that the poly bush design isn't ideal for the rear axle but don't understand why or if that has any foundation.

I contacted superpro who did give me some info and confirmed an incorrect designed poly bush would adversely affect the handling and remove any passive steering however superpro know what doing and their don't if correctly installed blah blah sales pitch. I also contacted floflex but didn't get anything technical back.

I am interested in either powerflex or superpro. I know NVH is subjective but has any one had issues with bushes wearing out quickly or oddities in handling? The bushes are a lot more money than stock however I think that is worth it over the hassle of install and not to mention risk of damaging the newly coated axles.

Caveat never had poly bushes but did refresh all the bushes on my Corrado with oem rubber ( i didn't fit though)  which made a massive improvement over 150k old rubber bushes - i.e concrete expansion joints on a motorway used to send shocks through the cabin but replacing relegated the same joints to a gentle background thud. I guess is a poly going to give me the experience I had with 25 year old / 150 k oem bushes is my worry - I doubt it. Anyone got experience of that particular experience with poly?

I guess you have to try everything once yourself to really know.

Re: Poly or OEM - rear axle/front cross member

Reply #1
As a rule, I usually default to powerflex rear beam bushes.
Much easier to put in and I've never had an issue with them
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster