Skip to main content
Topic: wiring problem (Read 604 times) previous topic - next topic

wiring problem

I am not good with electrics so I need help to identify where a stray wire should be connected to. The wire in question exits the loom which goes to the distributor it also connects the oil temp switch for the mfa and the blue water temp sensor.  The wire I cant place leaves this main loom and has a white plug that is numbered 123 I think only 2 wires leave the plug. This wire is currently insulated and taped to the clutch outer cable. Where should it connect? car is 1990 8v gti.
scs

Re: wiring problem

Reply #1
Have you got a pic?
What colour is the wire?
Presume you've not noticed any thing not working.

Reply #2
Hi I am obviously doing something wrong as I cant upload a picture despite dowloading vw widows link. The 2 wires are black the other is yellow. I suspect they have something to do with the mfa as none of the display works. The outer cable is shielded .  Then the usual black sleeve.
scs

Reply #3
Hi despite some advice from sly_gti I still cannot upload a picture. Might be my virus blocker. So I have been trying to understand the Haynes manual and surfed google for engine bay pictures I can see the wire/plug but not where it goes too. I am wondering if it should connect to the positive terminal on the battery. The question I have now is how many wires do you have on your 8v gti positive terminal?  I am wondering if it is the connection for the mfa or the clock that has never worked since buying the car.
scs

Reply #5

Reply #6
Think that's the knock sensor,
It will be bolted to the front of the block

Reply #7
you could well right unfortunately there is no sensor on the end. looked into a replacement the plug appears to be a different colour
as you can see mine is currently white the replacement has a blue plug. Has anyone replaced theirs with the blue plug?
scs

Reply #8
The plug / connector does match the profile of the knock sensors and they do have 123 marked on them.

My originals outer sheath was starting to part company, from recollection when I was looking for a new one they come in slightly different lengths, but don't take that as gospel.

It won't let me cut'n'paste the image but follow this link - ClubGTI and scroll down to the 4th image of the engine.

If you're on a PC right click and open it in a new tab where it'll allow you to magnify it way up, you can see the (blue) connection just above the starter and the sensor to the right of the alternator on the block.

Reply #9
Thanks L90E checked out the anti knock sensor and it appears the replacement does have a blue plug. It would appear to have a total length of 535mm with 520mm harness. Strangely though the white plug version is for a mk3 vr6.
scs

Reply #10
Have got a feeling I didn't connect the knock sensor up on my 2.0 8v, running PB ignition / head