Skip to main content
Topic: Standard Exhaust... (Read 460 times) previous topic - next topic

Standard Exhaust...

Last (hopefully) big purchase is the exhaust... original crumbled to dust having sat for so long.

The manifold and down pipe / guard are all 100% thankfully so just the remainder required.

I'm not wanting anything sporty / performance enhancing - in an ideal world I'd get an OE Bosal system, but sadly now unobtainable (unless you know differently?)

Just as a starting point I was looking at Heritages offerings and some of the regular stainless, original style twin pipe ones seem to fit the bill, if a little expensive!

Shallow person that I am it's the look of the twin pipes that'll probably decide it for me, anything bigger than what was standard doesn't lift my skirt.

If you've got something resembling what I'm after on your car, (and it's still being sold), stick up a pic or two if you can, thanks.

Re: Standard Exhaust...

Reply #1
If you're needing one (6a) - Mines soaking in the rust bath, think it'll come up fine.

In case not had a look to see if you can still get them and was surprised to find that you can, if a bit on the pricey side... VW Classic Parts

Reply #2
I've had a few exhaust on Golfs and imo the best looking and nicest sounding without looking like an add on was a Jetex system

Reply #3
I went the ‘expensive’ Heritage route for rear, middle and front boxes (German made, twin pipe stainless items) plus strengthened hangers.
I also bought new down pipe (1A above) and VW heat shield (6A above) for my 1990 GTi. Have not fitted either as original down pipe still serviceable plus to fit heat shield properly you need to lower subframe at disproportionate time/expense. Have both items for sale at £95 if anyone interested?
The new arrangement closely mirrors OEM spec and sounds almost identical, however as reported earlier feel the system needs to be ‘tuned’ as I am experiencing some body vibration at idle. This completely disappears when revs pick up when moving off and is not present anywhere else in rev range. Might don my fettlin’ hat and try hanging some of my fishing lead weights at strategic points on exhaust lol.
Definitely needs to be the signature Golf twin pipe in my opinion.

Reply #4
If memory serves me, I'd a Jetex back box on a Mazda 323F (remember those, with the pop up head-lights?), donkey's years ago... one of those ones you could almost put your arm up inside. Massive weight to it, but extremely well made, has probably out lived the car.

Haven't looked at what's out there in earnest yet, but I'm already getting the impression it's going to be expensive.

Can you put up an image of the rear tips for Heritage's German option, aesthetics are going to be the deciding factor I think?

Reply #6
Autodoc have the Bosal back box in at the moment, not cheap even with discount, plus there's an (unknown) outsize package surcharge on top likely making it impracticable.

Reply #7
If funds had permitted I'd likely have gone down the stainless steel route.

Marcosgt sent me a few images of his Hertiage set up and it looks perfect, but I just can't justify spending so much.

On top of that the car will be jockeying for use with my daily, the daughters Citigo (which I love driving and take over my own whenever I get the chance), the 205 and eventually the MK1 so it's very unlikely to ever be piling on the miles or get too much abuse.

Not a valid reason to pick one over another but the look of the original twin tail pipes was high up the 'wants' list.

Really tempting fate here, but Autodoc had the rear and middle section of the OE Bosal system in so have gone for that... yet to arrive, hopefully no hiccups.

For the front section I have yet to track down a UK seller and EU based ones don't want to know, but if the worst comes to the worst some other reputable brand will do.