Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 1.8 Auto (totally standard) Running Temp characteristics (Read 385 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 1.8 Auto (totally standard) Running Temp characteristics

Hi all, i have been following DerKommisar's post on overheating.

Here's my situation, if i start the engine and leave it standing then everything seems normal, warms up, gague shows dead centre, revs drop off (down to 900 ish), fan kicks in when things are nice and toasty.  However, if we go for a drive, the gague stays in the thick 'cold' bar area - even after 1hr of driving -the revs remain elevated (about 1200) normal A road driving 15/16 deg outside temp. Soon as we stop moving, quickly comes up to temp on the gague and sits very happily(not overheating). When driving, heater works very well, and quickly. The car has only been  "uncommon" ly driven over the last 3 years and not at all over the last 12 months.
I am tempted just to replace the 3 temp sensors and thermostat, but would prefer to leave well alone if this is just the way they are.
All experience is very welcome....
Thanks

Re: 1988 1.8 Auto (totally standard) Running Temp characteristics

Reply #1
I would replace the thermostat first, sounds like it's missing or stuck open.
When driving and getting good air flow across the radiator cooling the coolant the thermostat should close again or at least partially.

Reply #2
I’ve never tried idling a car up to temperature but the characteristics when driving are, as sly_gti said, those of a defective thermostat.
There should be no need to replace the sensors.

Reply #3
Thanks both for the rapid replies, thermostat and coolant on order, WD40 applied to all the fixings and PAS pump! Cheers.