Skip to main content
Topic: G135EPB 8v GTI (Read 11108 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: G135EPB 8v GTI

Reply #195
Mini update prep for national meet. I had a slight weep from my rocker cover which seems to be something I've always struggled with to be honest. Also had a misfire thats happened very occasionally but has always cleared amd my coolant light has also started to flash intermittently.
A new expansion tank has fixed the warning light so a nice easy one.
The old one wasn't even that old bit looks 30 years! I regret throwing my genuine one away

New one, went for febi again even though the last one failed quickly. Typically I've always found Feb to be a trusted brand.

The cheapest easiest parts to swap on the misfire were an ecu relay and ignition amplifier. I did a vcds scan and that was suggesting a short to ground on the coil so checked the wiring to that which seems fine with a continuity tester although I really need a new multimeter so I can check resistance properly (in Amazon basket) failing that the coil maybe at fault so I'll get one of these to for peice of mind.
Then I discovered this, not sure if the fault code was a red herring 🤷‍♂️

I've had numerous goes at the rocker cover with varied success. I've tried different brand gaskets, different rtv, a different rocker cover and then let a mate try 😅
One last go.i believe vw method is fit gasket dry with rtv on half moons and humps.

Elring gasket this time

Took road wheels off

Sebrings and r888s on, went for a quick blast and I forgot how grippy these are 😁

Hopefully that's all the essential stuff done for next weekend, I'll have to monitor the rocker for leaks 🤞🏻
Just need to charge Gopro and torch and I'm ready

Reply #197
You realise you've now you've put the slicks on, you've cursed us to rain!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #198
Just need to charge Gopro ...
I'm guaranteed to forget something critical, I went camping last month and left most of the stuff in the garage! It was safe to say I wasnt very popular

I'm so glad I just read that  :))
You realise you've now you've put the slicks on, you've cursed us to rain!

Haha yep we're all gonna get soggy now! It could add to the fun although i wouldn't fancy trying to put your 3.2 power down in the wet!

Reply #199
Yep! I'm going to spend EVEN MORE time spinning the wheels and making noise!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #200
A couple of months have passed since I last wrote anything on here. The car has been behaving so no real updates to share. I'm trying to leave it alone a bit until some thing either wears out or breaks!
Mk2 owners National meet was very wet but still amazing. On Saturday the track was so slippy! I'm not a particularly confident driver in the wet so it came a massive surprise to pick up the fastest modified trophy 😁  I know others with bigger power were finding grip hard to find so this certainly played into my hands. Such a good weekend, loved chatting to everyone and the highlight for me is going out for passenger laps in everyone car's. I took a fair few out in mine too, it's great to see peoples reactions and to get a few compliments

Managed to get a dry lap in the passenger seat of the Pinderwagen, such a special car 😁

Already can't wait for next year!

I made it to Retrorides and German Car show at Silvertone

I think thats probably going to be me finished for shows this year but I do want to make plans for more tracktime when I build up the courage. The lack of roll cage and harnesses always niggles.

Reply #201
I made an last minute visit to R-Tech who are a well known tuner localish to me. They were running a charity dyno day. After some pretty surprising results from Stealth dyno, this was a good opportunity to get a 2nd opinion. Looking at similar cars everything suggests 165bhp would be more likely for an abf like mine. As much as I want it to be the quoted 192bhp it's pretty obvious you need head work, cams and standalone to achieve this.

That more like it! 169bhp @6100rpm and 150 lb ft @5600rpm

https://youtu.be/SODqn9JjO9I?si=Qna6bmV78bVXMMcb
There were alot of big power more modern vag cars there so these figures were probably underwealming to everyone that was watching but it definitely made a decent noise by comparison!
I've been giving another engine swap some thought lately either 20vt or 2.8/3.2 v6. Having driven a mates bam the other evening I really enjoyed it, the way they deliver the power is crazy. I need to drive a v6 as I think that would be my preference, gonna have to have a word with Monkey! 😬

Reply #202
Interesting Ian. As we know it isn't always max power that gets you from A to B fastest and you have a trophy to prove it!
But that BBM R32 of @Monkey does sound nice.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #203
As I'm literally about to embark on another 3.2 conversion, I may sound a little hypocritical, but I have done a lot of engine conversions into a mk2 and I'd keep the ABF:
It's useable, great fun, and looking at your graphs, you've got a spot on engine there.
170bhp with a nice flat torque curve, bet that car is excellent to drive!
It also looks far more at home in the engine bay of a mk2 and is a lighter engine, so you would loose some of the nimble feeling going 3.2.

As mentioned before, you're more than welcome to take mine out for a spin, though it wouldn't do my above argument any favours!
At the end of the day though, it's down to what you want.
ABF = Light, nimble, revvy
3.2 = Brute force, awesome noise
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #204
As I'm literally about to embark on another 3.2 conversion, I may sound a little hypocritical, but I have done a lot of engine conversions into a mk2 and I'd keep the ABF:
It's useable, great fun, and looking at your graphs, you've got a spot on engine there.
170bhp with a nice flat torque curve, bet that car is excellent to drive!
It also looks far more at home in the engine bay of a mk2 and is a lighter engine, so you would loose some of the nimble feeling going 3.2.

As mentioned before, you're more than welcome to take mine out for a spin, though it wouldn't do my above argument any favours!
At the end of the day though, it's down to what you want.
ABF = Light, nimble, revvy
3.2 = Brute force, awesome noise
Thanks for the chat earlier. One minute I'm convinced another swap is the way to go and I'm writing a parts list. Next thing I'm considering if it's just way beyond my capabilities. Typically I always have assistance with big stuff or pass on if I'm not comfortable with it so this will more thank likley override what I want to do anyway 😅

Reply #205
The wheels you have now look so much better than the RCs anyway, good choice.