Skip to main content
Topic: GTI quad grills  (Read 819 times) previous topic - next topic

GTI quad grills

Hi,

I've got a couple of breakages on my grill and in fact not sure how it is supposed to mount on the far left and right upper corners (is it this part? https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/mk2-golf-grille-securing-clip-165853674-19715-p.asp)

What's the best route of a decent replacement - originals are NLA I see - I am happy to have a reproduction if it is good quality with the red trim around the edge.

Cheers
Matt

Re: GTI quad grills

Reply #1
Yes, that's the clip.

Reply #2
Suppose there's always the chance of finding a NOS one, though I'd imagine you'll pay through the nose for it unless the sellers a complete novice.

Haven't seen any of the current repros. in the flesh and impossible to guess from images as to quality.

Worth bearing in mind the originals aren't that great... fragile design to start with and 80's plastic molding standards combine to make a not very high bar to better.

Found this one - caught my eye as Carello are a well established and respectable Italian light manufacturer, have been OE on many cars for a long time.

Their contempary MK1 Golf grille / twin light offering is very highly sought after (apart from looking different in a good way) the lamps are set a little further forward than Hellas meaning it'll allow aircon to be fitted, Rabbit owners usually go for them.

I'm guessing this MK2 version is period too, though it's the first I've seen.

Seller is in Estonia, probably have to factor in the possibility of customs etc. but he's inviting offers... tempted myself!

eBay

Reply #3
If it is your thing... it's been up for auction since early July. There's 3 x watchers (inc. me) and the buy it now is showing as £99 in Estonia so have to presume eBay's already added the VAT for UK buyers, one less thing to account for. I'd be going in with a sensible, low offer to start with.

Reply #4
Cheers. Does look nice but its missing the red bit... what's a good paint to replicate the red trim?

Is there a reason to buy with lights installed? I've seen a few with lights now - makes me wonder if it is impossible to get the old ones out

Reply #5
There was a guy on facebook that had a couple when I was looking a year ago.
He had a NOS one, wanted £200 for it if I recall.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
Always thought NOS stuff, when it gets to the point of being this hard to come by, was a double edged sword.

Obviously nice to have and it fitting properly is likely assured etc. but personally I'd be bricking it everytime I left the car alone, incase its value made it more nickable or even just damaged by a flying stone.

Reply #7
Always thought NOS stuff, when it gets to the point of being this hard to come by, was a double edged sword.

Obviously nice to have and it fitting properly is likely assured etc. but personally I'd be bricking it everytime I left the car alone, incase its value made it more nickable or even just damaged by a flying stone.
Exactly the reason I passed on it, though he had a near mint one for sale for £100 delivered, so I had that one instead.

Oh crap, I've just remembered, I need to find another now!!!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #8
Cheers. Does look nice but its missing the red bit... what's a good paint to replicate the red trim?

Is there a reason to buy with lights installed? I've seen a few with lights now - makes me wonder if it is impossible to get the old ones out

Pretty sure the red trim is 'Mars Red'

Reply #9
Yes I'm not sure I am too bothered if it is OEM, but would like something that looks similar with the red trim and fits well - tall ask!

NOS is still going to be 20+ years old and the thought of paying £150 for a 30 year old UV brittle used one only for the tabs to break on installation is saddening. Plus being on the front of the car it's highly likely to get damaged by a stone. Half tempted to make my one work - both upper corner taps are snapped and one of the screw mouldings has snapped. All tabs however are present and no cracks.

Reply #10
Yes I'm not sure I am too bothered if it is OEM, but would like something that looks similar with the red trim and fits well - tall ask!

NOS is still going to be 20+ years old and the thought of paying £150 for a 30 year old UV brittle used one only for the tabs to break on installation is saddening. Plus being on the front of the car it's highly likely to get damaged by a stone. Half tempted to make my one work - both upper corner taps are snapped and one of the screw mouldings has snapped. All tabs however are present and no cracks.

Might be worth a punt https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164827119689?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=164827119689&targetid=1279076610849