Skip to main content
Topic: where to get abs parts ? (Read 790 times) previous topic - next topic

where to get abs parts ?

to feel safer, i would like to put anti lock breaking in,
but i do not know where i can get the parts
(and what to do exactly).

doing sone research, i know that
the mk2 abs control unit is not powerful enough
for significantly shortening the braking distance.
therefore it should be mk3/seat toledo abs
or even newer.

there are some wheel hubs and sensors on amazon,
but i have not found e.g a control unit.

then i need to know, how to put everything in.

searching for abs does hit almost anything.
which threads about it have there been before ?

Re: where to get abs parts ?

Reply #1
I've wondered about this but make sure I leave enough braking distance! ABS doesn't always mean you stop quicker.

For starters you need to check for any differences in the bulkhead mounting area between the MK2 and 3. Something I found when doing the aircon install. It may not apply since I guess it is LHD ?

I'd be careful about what you do and get the professionals to do after all you want it to work properly.
I suspect installing the sensors disk rings is straightforward and you could still use the car. But as for installing the ABS unit, replacement pipes wiring etc you would be best leaving that to the proffessionals.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #2
crashing 1 or 2 beautiful cars would be a bigger pain, woudn't it ? i had situations.
in addition the golf tends  to slowly turn, if the wheels are blocking.

the professionals call abs, aircon and everyting to expensive for such a cheap car.
so i end up doing it my self or letting it be. it is a left hand drive.
i have not seen a single right hand drive in real life, ever.

none of you have tried this mk3 abs thing ?
after getting some info about where to get this abs unit and stuff, i can still let it be, right ?
maybe someone more sophisticated than me could try it with his car or something, so it would not be a waste.

ok, i let it be, my.. ..at least for a while. i'm to lazy anyway. thank you :-)
and now, lats take on the aircon, or i would not drive much in summer ;-)

Reply #3
In all my years of driving I have only had the ABS kick in twice - both times down a slippery, sometimes icey muddy hill at 15mph near my house, where I admit I do prod the brakes harder then necessary to see the limits of grip.

The ABS systems on old cars is not that great anyway but if you want to do it get yourself a 4x100 donor vehicle with ABS and take all the parts out. You'll need the cast bearing carrier (to locate the sensors), rear beam, new hubs/ABS rings, ABS pump, ABS ECU, assume master cyclinder would need to change plus sensor on the pedal to do with braking.

Yes it might save you one day but a better bet is just to drive defensively, look ahead, expect the worst. You mention the Golf turns slow when the wheels are locking but might I suggest you look at some advanced driving ideologies - the system of car control and roadcraft:

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/docs/librariesprovider41/shgam-tips/system.pdf?sfvrsn=6625af50_4

Basically you aim to set the car up to the road ahead. You don't brake whilst turning, change gear whilst turning or braking. Of course in an emergency situation this can't be avoided but by applying the road craft you are limiting the risk of emergency situations.

Worth sharing and thinking about I thought before tearing the car apart.

That all send and done though, ABS or no ABS is not going to save you if a Deer runs out from a hedge, even if you have eased off to say 50 on a 60 in those conditions or some other event. Hell you could argue doing 60 would have avoided the deer altogether! Where I live Deer are my biggest worry.

Reply #4
If I recall correctly the Seat Ibiza from 1985-99 used the MK2 golf platform. Not seen many around on the roads or in a local scrapyard but I think the GTI model had ABS and probably aircon too.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #5
In all my years of driving I have only had the ABS kick in twice - both times down a slippery, sometimes icey muddy hill at 15mph near my house, where I admit I do prod the brakes harder then necessary to see the limits of grip.

The ABS systems on old cars is not that great anyway but if you want to do it get yourself a 4x100 donor vehicle with ABS and take all the parts out. You'll need the cast bearing carrier (to locate the sensors), rear beam, new hubs/ABS rings, ABS pump, ABS ECU, assume master cyclinder would need to change plus sensor on the pedal to do with braking.

Yes it might save you one day but a better bet is just to drive defensively, look ahead, expect the worst. You mention the Golf turns slow when the wheels are locking but might I suggest you look at some advanced driving ideologies - the system of car control and roadcraft:

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/docs/librariesprovider41/shgam-tips/system.pdf?sfvrsn=6625af50_4

Basically you aim to set the car up to the road ahead. You don't brake whilst turning, change gear whilst turning or braking. Of course in an emergency situation this can't be avoided but by applying the road craft you are limiting the risk of emergency situations.

Worth sharing and thinking about I thought before tearing the car apart.

That all send and done though, ABS or no ABS is not going to save you if a Deer runs out from a hedge, even if you have eased off to say 50 on a 60 in those conditions or some other event. Hell you could argue doing 60 would have avoided the deer altogether! Where I live Deer are my biggest worry.
I agree with this comment and would probably go a little further and suggest that ABS is undesirable.  It extends stopping distances when it is desirable to lock the wheels to stop.  My ABS has only ever fired when I need it not to, for example when stopping in snow.
IAM Road Craft is definitely the way to stay out of trouble.  Driving cars without ABS I have only ever once had to apply cadence braking techniques, the car stopped very quickly.
I have badgers to contend with in addition to deer.

Reply #6
IAM does interest me and I consciously try my best as untrained driver - one thing I've never really been able to do comfortably is have 2nd gear selected and engaged before moving the car to pull into a minor road from a main road. I find in order to achieve the required speed to to select 2nd and then turn into a road makes me move to slow for the flow of traffic so will usually be in second but engaging the clutch as make the turn.

Guess you've to pragmatic but I generally always try to be only doing one thing at a time - selecting gear, braking or steering and thinking about what is coming up road. Wouldn't mind doing the course or even some active tranining without a test one day.

I just wish my wife would engage in watching the youtube videos. She always drives up people's chuff and had minor bump in traffic before xmas becuase of it. Rush rush rush.   

Reply #7
This brings back ‘happy’ memories of completing driver training with Essex Police in the eighties. My day job then required surveillance capabilities while driving safely/legally.
We were taught that you needed to be in the correct gear before entering hazard/turn enabling you to accelerate away shortly afterwards. In terms of effective speed at approach, we had to visualise a ‘rugby ball’ when approach braking i.e. dab brake gently at beginning then exert further pressure before easing off at point of turn.
I recall most of the turn offs required either 2nd or 3rd gear choice depending on which car we were required to drive.
Brilliant three week training and can put hand on heart and can say even today I still apply most of my learning then.

Reply #8
@marcosgt  it may be worth starting an Advanced Driving thread in General Chat.  I'm a member and have views on advanced driving that I would be happy to share.