Skip to main content
Topic: Darrens MK2 16v 5 door (Read 516 times) previous topic - next topic

Darrens MK2 16v 5 door

Morning thought I would introduce my MK2 GTi.

I've had loads of mk2s in the past, and am currently undergoing an extensive MK1 GTi resto.

Having just sold my T5 van and on the hunt for a new vehicle/ family car I found a MK2 GTi. Its not too practical for my needs but I couldn't help myself I absolutely love them. Having the towbar and 5 doors was actually a key selling point.

Anyway the car is lovely and original and comes with full service history. However it's been off the road for 5 years and is quite tired all over. So my intention is to refresh everything and get it on the road soonish so I can have a car again.

Anyway here she is

Re: Darrens MK2 16v 5 door

Reply #1
Since receiving the golf I have been on a parts ordering mission.

My intention is to refresh the brakes, suspension, wheels, most of the rubber items in the bay, full complete service, exhaust, bit of bodywork and general tidy up.

This may be going back on eBay, I think 2.5inchs is too large for the car

Reply #2
So the car runs really poorly and dies at idle, I gave the injectors a shake and they were rattling all over the place, that will be my starting point for this mini rolling resto.

These injectors have definitely seen better days

The bay needs a lot of love

Inlet manifold removed

Much nicer after a sandblast

Then I powdercoated, sticking to an OEM silver

Other brackets are powder coated and all hoses and bolts were zinc plated, new injectors were ordered. And heres the lot ready for reassembly

There's a few more jobs I want to do whilst the inlet manifold is off.

Reply #3
Looks to be a great starting point and 100% complete which is always a bonus.

Also sounds like you have the skills to tackle jobs that are well beyond me.

You'll have to think of a name to call the car, now that you've started a build thread!