Skip to main content
Topic: Bodyshop recommendations (Read 763 times) previous topic - next topic

Bodyshop recommendations

Hi all
I wondered if anyone can recommend a body shop in Hertfordshire or London? (or further afield if they're really good!)
There is a bit of rust emerging under the windscreen on my mk2, around the windscreen wipers. I've decided to get it professionally fixed before it gets worse, hoping to get it booked in for post-lockdown.
Has anyone else had experience of fixing that panel, and how much did it cost? Hoping it's not extortionate but expect I'll be horrified when I get a quote! Anecdotes to the contrary are welcome  ;)
Thanks
Will

Re: Bodyshop recommendations

Reply #2
Many thanks. Will respond later this summer with the outcome...

Reply #3
I can recommend Top Gunz in Waltham Forest. Gary is a great chap whose mainstream business is working on new cars that have been damaged in transit and sub 3 year old cars damaged for sale at dealerships.

He works on classics around the day job and is currently doing my Corrado, having recently finished a mk1 rs turbo and to follow mine a nut and bolt restoration of a mk2 fiesta XR2i. He has worked on Mk2 golfs in the recent past if you flick through the pictures you'll see some. The white corrado is mine in the most recent history feed. He only uses the best materials and I found his pricing very reasonable compared to the other quotes I was getting.

His brother in law is a welder and Gary does the painting. Although i think Gary welds the simplier stuff not sure.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/topgunzsprayshop/

Just a quick edit to add what has been done - I stripped the interior but Gary has done the windows and everything else down to the shell. He has cut out and welded a new filler cap panel in and welded a hole in the windscreen area. I plan on using him for my recently aquired mk2 - do PM if you want to chat :)

Reply #5
Great thanks for the recommendation. Will be looking up Top Gunz in the future. Cheers

Reply #6
Great thanks for the recommendation. Will be looking up Top Gunz in the future. Cheers

Cool, just with regard to your rust you can get the panel from VW Heritage

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/191817115-repair-panel-for-below-the-windscreen.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwi_b3BRAGEiwAemPNU3hetUJR2oIy0Bi3ELgoqLwf_64ouciDtfJd1ddEqrdBPHLQNzQzzhoCGkwQAvD_BwE

However it is a windscreen and dashboard out job to weld in a replacement (or so I have heard). Anything you can do with stripping yourself will benefit you.