Skip to main content
Topic: DAB antenna position (Read 934 times) previous topic - next topic

DAB antenna position

Hi All,

Got a dab unit to fit to my 16v, kenwood headunit i bought in 2001 has given up the ghost. Sad day, had it longer than i have owned a car 🤣

I have fitted windscreen mounted dab aerials to mk4 golfs, but never a mk2.

Just wondering where others have mounted theirs for best results and path of least resistance....

Doubt i'll get a reply before i fit when wife comes back to take over with the kids, but google turned up a blank🤣
Thanks 👍

Re: DAB antenna position

Reply #1
Heritage sell this (no pics on Heritage site so this is from eBay) which means you can alledgedly use your standard aerial for a DAB radio. - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retrosound-DAB-Antenna-Splitter-use-your-standard-AM-FM-Aerial-for-DAB-aswell-/282882670647.
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #2
Good idea!  ;)

But i think i would rather not disturb my headlining if can be avoided  :D

Reply #3
I think this plugs into the aerial cable in the dash and then amplifies the signal turning it into digital (looks like you need to also have switched 12v supply but you could use the existing radio feed) meaning it should sit nicely behind the dash somewhere.  No idea how effective it would be but it would certainly keep everything stock looking.
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #4
I think this plugs into the aerial cable in the dash and then amplifies the signal turning it into digital (looks like you need to also have switched 12v supply but you could use the existing radio feed) meaning it should sit nicely behind the dash somewhere.  No idea how effective it would be but it would certainly keep everything stock looking.
I have something similar in my 924 & it works really well, picking up a decent DAB signal

Reply #5
Think i'll have to look into one of those as the stick to the windscreen option did not work due to the windscreen seal.

Forgot about that issue, mk4 being bonded there was no seal to get in the way