Skip to main content
Topic: Cam upgrade (Read 527 times) previous topic - next topic

Cam upgrade

I am toying with idea of having a 'hotter' cam fitted to my Mk2 GTi 8V digi @ 85k. I am hoping to increase torque values across most of the range and will keep below 272 degrees to maintain normal idle etc. I will probably fit a set of heavy duty valve springs for completeness.

The car already has a free flow air filter and a recent exhaust (Klarious?) fitted, which sounds like a performance item? standard manifold in place.

Has anyone out there gone down this route and was it worth while? Don't want to radically change the cars character so to speak but would like to achieve a bit more 'zip in the middle'.

Re: Cam upgrade

Reply #1
A cam upgrade can make for a more fun car i had a 285 cam in my old 8v gti but i dont recall it being that lumpy but it was used with vernier pulley and RPM big valve head.

Id start with making sure the engine is performing and producing the power it should be before adding a cam.

Things id also do is get a used set of injectors and get them sent away to be cleaned and tested, i did this with my old Audi S4 and 2 injectors were flowing less cc than the others.

By making sure all 4 injectors are flowing equal amounts you are making sure that all the cylinders are providing equal power.

Once its working and producing near standard power (115bhp i think 🤔) then adding a cam should liven the drive up a touch, 272 is probably a good choice with the other mods.

I wouldn't bother with replacing the valve train as OEM is more than capable.

Rolling road set up should see your efforts shine through.

My old 8v ended up with 2ltr bottom end, 285 cam, pulley zaust and filter and made 135bhp 137lbft and flew.

At a guess you could be looking at a good 120-125bhp area all depending on the output pre cam change.