Skip to main content
Topic: 3 in 1 tilting car lift  (Read 1253 times) previous topic - next topic

3 in 1 tilting car lift

Hi,

Has anyone got one these in their garage, or anything similar? I'm considering this alongside the quickjacks lift and possibly one of the automotech scissor lifts but they're quite expensive and I could get an air compressor and other tools for the difference in price! 

https://cjautosheywood.co.uk/product/3in1-tilting-adjustable-car-lift-1-5-ton-cl01/

My worry about this lift is that the others have rubber blocks to lift on the factory jacking points whereas this tilting lift appears to rest along any section of the pinch welded sills which are not factory jacking points. To be fair it does appear to spread the load wide but I don't want to crush my pinch welds... worry over nothing?

The big advantage of this lift over the more expensive options is that it can be positioned to work either end of the sills.

Cheers

Matt

Re: 3 in 1 tilting car lift

Reply #2
Cheers Kenneth I should add my garage isn't that big - 5m x 3.3m and will be 2.1m at the eves rising to a central peak. I'm building it in Feb and am waiting for it to be delivered.

Reply #3
Cheers Kenneth I should add my garage isn't that big - 5m x 3.3m and will be 2.1m at the eves rising to a central peak. I'm building it in Feb and am waiting for it to be delivered.

id save money and invest in 4 good 2T axel stands and 2 low profile  trolley jacks  , and some plastic ramps.    I'd love to have garage with height at home, and if i didn't have roof on already id be looking a going 2.5m height minimum 

At the unit i would say that i'm working at 400mm to 2metres   chair height and standing.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tja25-jsrx2-aluminium-trolley-jack-axle-stands for home work i use this. ive got engine hoist,engine stand, oil trays...  vacuum for sucking oil out of sump. that would probably cheaper than tilting lift.  Not saying any better but defo would rather have more tools than something that may work ..  A detailer near me uses similar lift but doesn't do any work on car i can ask him if he thought was strong enough to work underneath.

Reply #4
I've got that sort of set up at the mo but find the axle stands a pain. Maybe it's just me and not knowing all the places to jack from - the point I jack from is usually the place I want to put the axle stand!

The mk2 is better up front with the jacking point but the corrado I jack from the subframe bolt and place the axel stand either on the box section behind the jack or at the factory point on the sill (don't like doing that though).

The rear is always tricker as the factory jacking point and the sill point is in the same place. I've restorted to jacking on the rear beam but don't think that is a good idea.

The idea of this quickjack/lifts is attractive to me as it takes some of that hasssle out of it.

Reply #6
Ive considered getting some of these.

https://www.cjautos.eu/product_p/cr01.htm

I had some manual wind ones before but they where slow to use and not low enough for my mk2

Reply #7
Loads of choices. I suppose i need to really think about what I am trying to achieve:

- I'd like to get the car up in the air for easy cleaning and inspection - say repair flaking underseal etc. This can be achieved with just one axle in the air.

- Welding: I'm learning here but would like to get it up high enough so I've got room to move. Happy to creap under there on bike but would like a good few inches room to work. I'd like to be able to get at the sills but it's just a one off job so could make do with axle stands and the hydro drive on ramps. Also the tilting lift could suffice too.

- Suspension work

- I need to remove the engine on my mk2

- the tilting 3 in 1 lift with axle stands seems quite good to get all 4 corners up for say a wheel swap round.

- I already have a jack and 4x axle stands and some tools but want to buy 50l belt driven air compressor on top of this. I've got a super mig 140  welder. 

I moved house recently and set some money aside to sort out my garage, including building one so need to use the money wisely. If i went for one of the more expensive lift options that would be my garage kit out budget emptied. I've been waiting 15 years for this so want to make sure I do it right haha!

Reply #8
An inspection pit if it's a yet to be built garage?

Reply #9
I probably should have put a pit in. The base is built just waiting on the frame of the garage to be delivered.

Reply #10
An inspection pit if it's a yet to be built garage?
thats exactly what my wife said... or change plan for garage to make lifting higher possible.  i'd love a pit to be honest, my dad had 1 in old metal garage , was great for doing oil drain and exhaust. 

whilst looking for links for your lift....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFMH8lslduo see how using

i came across this... which to me seems a DIYer could do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzvuLFoNEtk not cheap to buy... but using a 2 fixed hinges(pivots) and lifting 2 ramps would work  i've flipped 50 ton turbine casings this way. 

could be done with  scaffold tubes for pivots and strengthened car loading ramps.... from a trailer..  in fact i'm going out to rob a trailer now.. and have a look.

Reply #11
I shoud have gone for that to be honest! I've also already designed and paid 50% on the garage (with attached car port) and was limited to permitted development for height.

The more I think about it the 3in1 isn't going to work as I'll not have the room in my garage to slide it underneath the car (3.3m wide).

I think this sort of thing is going work for me, a luxury as jack stands can achieve the same thing but this is much easier! Kwik Lift 2500 - about £1k - ouch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h_ETd9fAjs&feature=youtu.be

Reply #12
Well decision made. I was able to pick up the lift above from their warehouse about 10 miles from my house.

Cheers for the help though, glad i put it here as the 3 in 1 would never have worked for me with my garage width and with the height I don't think I'd have got the benefit from a fixed scissor lift.