Skip to main content
Topic: Engine - Easiest swap into 1.6 CL? (Read 640 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine - Easiest swap into 1.6 CL?

Hi all,

I've recently aquired a 1990 CL with a 1.6 Carb engine. The engine is in pieces and will take quite a bit of time to rebuild. My question is, are any of the other MK2 engines plug and play? Could I upgrade to a GTI engine or will I have issues with ECU and fuel injection etc?

Thanks

Re: Engine - Easiest swap into 1.6 CL?

Reply #1
Hi Matt,

The only real plug and play upgrade will be a 1.8 carb unit.
The GTI motor will need the fuel pumps/lines/ecu/loom to get to work.

You can get a fair bit more pep out of the carb engines by getting a Weber carb/ four branch and a GTI cam if you end up rebuilding it.

Failing that, your best bet would be to get a completely rotten/smashed up GTI and swap the whole lot across.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
Thanks for your reply. I’m guessing swapping out the fuel pump, lines, ecu and loom is relatively straightforward?

If not, it may be a chance to look at a 1.8t?

My aim though at this stage is to get the car running as quickly as possible without spending too much time or money, then I can focus on future upgrades etc

Reply #3
It's relatively straightforward to swap, but if you want to 1.8t it, you'll still need a fuel injected fueling setup to make it work.
So if you want it on the road quickly, get the carby motor back in, then plan your attack on a conversion when you have time.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v