Skip to main content
Topic: Combined engine / gearbox weight in Kg's. (Read 1276 times) previous topic - next topic

Combined engine / gearbox weight in Kg's.

Usual story - different opinions etc. given on the inter-web... need a more trustworthy combined weight so as to order a suitable engine stand.

450Kg seems to be the most common stand capacity and presumably well capable.

My biggest issue is getting one, regardless of capacity - despite what listings / adverts say I've had three orders cancelled todate when they realise it's to be sent to N. Ireland making my choices more and more limited - with there being some 350kg ones that might widen my scope.

Re: Combined engine / gearbox weight in Kg's.

Reply #1
I think it's no more than 150KG's tbh

Reply #2
Do you need the combined weight as most engine stands hold the engine by the gearbox mounting.

Unless you use one an adapters that uses the rear mounting points, like this one

Reply #3
Thanks - Just seen in the Knowledge section' that the overall kerb weight's quoted as slightly over 900 Kg's with an approximate 60 / 40 bias to the front - so probably safe to assume engine / gearbox it'll be well within even a 350 Kg stands limits.

Saw those adapter plates when I was trying to find someone to sell me a stand - haven't yet looked into them any further, are there ones available for the regular 1.8 engine / gearbox?

Reply #4
There is a draper one on Amazon holds 450 for 100 quid

Reply #5
Been through all the sensibly priced ones and despite what their sales blurb say none of them'll post to N.I (or want to charge an extra £45+ when its free P&P for elsewhere.)

There's a semi-local guy on Gumtree, but he's looking new money for a used one, plus means a couple of hours round trip to pick it up.

It was only a notion, might've proved useful but not essential - if one turns up I'll get it, but if not it's no biggy, thanks anyhow.

Reply #7
Hi just looked at the amazon listing the one shown is for either or engine or gearbox. In my experience the only part you want to work on is the engine. Gearboxes are best left to experts.
scs

Reply #8
Unfortunately my car hasn't been drivable for some time, infact it's reached the point there's probably more of it sitting on the floor than attached to the body shell.

There's a small, one man garage 10 minutes drive from me, very good and always busy, but despite that he's been more than happy to visit and do some of the jobs that I either don't have the tools for or ability myself... he's been at it for years and I suspect he likes 80's cars as much as I do, bit of a busmans holiday for him.

Anyhow, things have gone alot further than expected and I'm now taking the engine out so it'd be foolish not to for example change the clutch at the same time while it's accessible, hence wanting a stand to allow him to work more easily.

I was reconciling the cost, not only for that reason but it's likely the MK1 (if the time ever comes) may well also make use of it.

When I was originally looking you can get them for as little as £52.00 and upwards but as with alot of these things they on the whole  appear to be the exact same one... probably generic Chinese, bought in and with whoevers sticker applied along with a suitable price hike to match the brand name.

Unfortunately those from sellers that I could justify getting either don't send to N. Ireland or if they do nigh on add the price of the stand all over again for postage.

I've 3 x refunds owing me from Amazon sellers who took the order / money then cancelled and another one from an eBay seller.

Splashed out on a middle of the range trolley jack a few months ago, I'll get my moneys worth out of itOK but went through the exact same hassle of multipe orders taken / cancelled before eventually getting it,

Thanks all for the input, genuinely appreciated, but at the moment I'm going to let it sit, too many other things to do and just don't have the will or time for that again!