Skip to main content
Topic: Brake Servo.. (Read 409 times) previous topic - next topic

Brake Servo..

Took this off the car for the first time, so not an item I'd given a great deal of thought to until now.

Shouldn't have been surprised... they're an important part of the braking system, but I didn't realise there's as much to them as there is.

Got me thinking that if you've ever an issue with your brakes, might be worth while including the servo as one of the possible culprits.

The original MK2 servo supplier seems to have been Ate, that's the one pictured - others may have been available and could differ.

The little foam piece that wraps around the arm (on the inner side of the bulkhead) had dissolved into a gluey mess.

Parts of it were loose and could've gone into the servo body, but the main piece was a solid gloop and covered in fluff etc. almost completely blocking the passageway

In case they were still cheaply available, had a quick Google but appears not. What I did find was they're more than just a bung and act as a filter for air passing into the drivers side chamber of the servo... needs to be free flowing and an open cell type foam.

The seal (around that white plunger piece) is the ring type so presumably needs to be specially air tight or else a standard seal would've done.

Mine was very sticky through a decade of inactivity, but freed up with use. I suppose like any seal they can wear out, become brittle or shrink.

At least 2 x potential failure points to consider.

The foam filter was an easy fix, but not sure if the ring seal that's specific to this servo is still available - post a link if you know.