Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel leak from pump area (Read 1019 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel leak from pump area

Hi
Mt 1988 Golf GTI 16V has a fuel leak from the area of the fuel pump. It appears to be coming from above the reservoir so I think / hope the leak is from the pipe connections rather than the pump or reservoir itself. All the manuals and videos say to undo the four bolts holding the mounting bracket and drop the unit complete. I've undone the bolts and the thing won't budge. Am I missing something or do I just need to use a bit more force, or is there a technique?

Re: Fuel leak from pump area

Reply #1
On a positive note it's probably a good sign that you were able to undo the 4 x nuts.

The corresponding threaded pieces they attach to are an integral part of the floor pan, you wouldn't want them damaged / broken..

The entire pump assembly will come away from the underside as one unit.

The metal craddle (No. 21 in the schematic) has 4 x slots, one at the end of each arm.

There's a rubber piece (No. 26) that slides into each of these slots and has a metal inner tube. They in turn have a metal clasp (No. 28) that slides over them. It's just a form of speed nut that is forced over the 4 x threaded pieces.

I'm guessing it was just an easy way of putting the unit on in the factory, rather than fighting against gravity with only nuts.

The nuts are the last thing to go on and hold everything properly, not the clasps.

While nearly everything else on mine wasn't in bad shape, those clasps were rotten.

I had no choice but to use force, which wrecked them altogether.

The rubbers etc. were reusable and when its time to go back on I'll not be working against the clock like the poor VW worker who originally fitted it and don't particularly need the clasps.

You can still get them (WHT 002 257 ), but expensive for what they are and not really necessary (plus likely to make it a pig of a job if you ever wanted the pump off again... and probably rot).

Reply #2
This is what you'll be fighting against - it'll not want to come off the threaded bit, plus probably rusted to it and / or the floor pan.

Reply #3
Thanks for your help, I've now succeeded in getting the pump assembly off the studs and I reckon I'll be able to re-use the rubber bushes, though they may need a little persuading to go back on. And the leak does look like it's coming from the hose connection rather than the pump itself (though looking anxiously at the flange where the hose connections come in...) Next problem is getting the little hose clips off. Bought a "proper" tool for the job though whether it's due to my previous attempts at undoing them or the fact that due to the position of everything it's almost impossible to exert any force on it the clips still don't want to come off. Will try again tomorrow...

Reply #4
small vice grips, and a little twist of the hose normally breaks the seal. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154225622599?epid=21004180448&hash=item23e8903e47:g:CxsAAOSwhZFfySPs   sometimes something like this would come in handy, but tend to manage without.

check all around the pump housing prior to reinstalling, so connect everything back up and then turn ignition on a few times to pressure test the system prior to starting.. when all leaks shown to be fixed then reinstall.

Reply #5
Thanks for all the help so far. Managed to drop the pump and replace the hose but it wasn't the easy fix I'd hoped for. The leak actually appears to be coming from the flange where the two return pipes leave the reservoir. As the prices being asked for replacement reservoirs, either new pattern parts or second hand ones (which might have the same problem...) aren't cheap, I'm wondering if it's possible to use some sort of petrol-resistant sealant/epoxy or similar on the part. Anyone tried this and if so does it work?

Reply #6
Not done it myself but my son tried it on a fuel tank and it was not very successful. Could be he did not do it very well.
scs

Reply #7
you can try plastic welding and then a extra coat of epoxy resin , but if the reservoir is leaking then why would you risk it... replace with new... your car is worth nothing when on fire...... so far better to spend the money on fixing fuel leaks. plastic OEM fuel reservoirs are available new, but cost the same as the -alloy version I can supply. If you open my links below you can see the price i was quoting for doing alloy housing , new pump, new accumulator  the risk is hoses and further leak when fitting.