Skip to main content
Topic: been away for a while member (Read 745 times) previous topic - next topic

been away for a while member

Hi All,

It has been a three or four years since I last posted on here. Back then I had 1.6 driver but then I sold it, and replaced it with a 1984 alpine white Golf GTI with GTI engineering Plus Pac tuning.

When I got it it wouldn't start which turned out to be defective AAV. I have done a good amount of work on her over the last couple of years and I'm looking to continue brining her up to spec.

I will get some pics uploaded very soon and make the effort to start documenting the work being carried out.

Ive managed to collate some info on the GTI engineering company but if anyone knows of what wheels may have been offered with the GTI engineering package upgrade extras that would be great.

Anyway its great to be back and after so long away this is pretty much my re-introduction so a big hello to everyone!

Cheers

Will

Re: been away for a while member

Reply #1
Welcome back Will
scs

Reply #3
Thanks for the welcome scs!

And thanks for the link Eddypeck, this is perfect. Even though the car may have only come with the engine upgrade and none of the ancillary extras, I still want to try and locate some of the little details offered by GTI engineering at the time. Its probably a tall order but I'll give it a try.

Ahh nice, what did you make of the uprated engine? maintenance or overall wise, is there anything I may need to look out for in the long run?

Reply #4
Welcome along, look forward to the photos!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #5
Thanks for the welcome scs!

And thanks for the link Eddypeck, this is perfect. Even though the car may have only come with the engine upgrade and none of the ancillary extras, I still want to try and locate some of the little details offered by GTI engineering at the time. Its probably a tall order but I'll give it a try.

Ahh nice, what did you make of the uprated engine? maintenance or overall wise, is there anything I may need to look out for in the long run?

When I had mine, I bought it like that. This was in the late 90s, so the car was about 12 or 13 years old. Not sure if it was just the Plus Pac or if there were any other mods. At the time of buying I didn't realise what the GTI Engineering badge on the back signified and the garage selling it obviously weren't aware either as it wasn't marked up as anything special. But it was amazing, and to quote one of my mates.... "It shouldn't go like this!" he worked at the local VW dealer at the time and had driven loads of GTIs, it was certainly a special car.

It also had a Zender boot spoiler fitted, a popular GTI-E add on, but I replaced the boot lid to get rid of that.

I was 20 something, so drove it hard most fo the time. The only downside I can think of is I blew up a couple of gearboxes. I ended up with one out of a Scirocco, not sure on the spec I wish I remembered but the gearing was a perfect match with great acceleration and a longer 5th Gear.

I reached 139mph in it, which is good going to an 8v on K-jet, and I had some guy in a 2.0 16v Astra GTE try and race me and I made him look very stupid.

One car I wasn't able to outrun was the Gloucestershire Constabulary Mk3 VR6, and later an unmarked Police video bike, which ended in me taking a six month break from driving. Ooops.

By the time I sold the car is was on close to 250,000 miles as I used it daily and had a 700 mile a week commute! Apart from the gearboxes I had no issues.

Reply #6
Re the 5th gear... would that have been the 4+E gearbox? I'd like to do that conversion for motorway driving.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #7
Thanks for the welcome Monkey!

And Eddypeck that's a brilliant story, you had me smiling all the time I was reading it. As you say, it sounds like there isn't too much to worry about unless I hit it hard and give the gear box some unsolicited affection!

It must of been brilliant back in the 80s and 90s with all these hot hatches about - I can't believe that even the police were in Mk3 VR6s! awesome  8)

I am away working at the moment, but as promised as soon as I am home I will get some pics uploaded.

Reply #8
Re the 5th gear... would that have been the 4+E gearbox? I'd like to do that conversion for motorway driving.

Unfortunately I’m not sure, but I wish in knew. When I’ve mentioned this before someone also suspected it might had been a 4+E. But the pairing was very good.