Skip to main content
Topic: Three buses at once! (Read 428 times) previous topic - next topic

Three buses at once!

The joys of running 31 year old car.
Too much time on hands, (retired), decided to check oil level and hoover/clean upholstery etc.
Oil, good level and clear but lower bonnet catch spring gave up ghost and now can’t safely close same. Went to glovebox to peruse handbook for any ‘top tips’ (laugh) and noticed glovebox interior light not working (bulb blown) and to complete trilogy found glovebox inner shell was detached and sitting at back of dashboard exposing lots of failed glue applications used to try and keep it in place. Does anyone know how these hard plastic liners should be held in place?
Mr Heritage has despatched ‘next day delivery’ of pattern lower catch and 4 pop rivets (£2.15 each!) the cable is still serviceable.
Now need to unearth my trusty riveter last used to reassemble an errant motorcycle mudguard in 1990’s. I am supremely confident I can sort these issues myself, God knows I built enough AIrfix kits in my youth.

Re: Three buses at once!

Reply #1
Glovebox liner? I'm not sure they have a liner, so perhaps someone glued in some material to line it themselves. ??

That said, I know some of the hard plastic areas were 'flocked' in some countries, South Africa and America for example, I assume to deal with heat to soften the touch of hot black plastic baked in the sun.

Oh hang on, when you said liner I though like a material based lining.

Do you mean the actual glovebox inner shell? The hard plastic bit?? trying to visualise it from the comfort of my warm office.

Reply #2
Yes, the hard plastic glovebox inner shell.

You need to be a gymnast to access this area but found I can manoeuvre this shell/liner by one hand from behind, without removing (5 screws) passenger side lower dashboard shelf. It’s not obvious if this item is simply a push fit from the inside around the actual glove box frame or if it should be secured by others means? Have a pot of ‘Gorilla’ super glue on standby but experience reminds me that few, if any, mainstream glues ever work well plastic on plastic.

Singularly failed to remove the four rivets from my broken lower bonnet catch due to either duff drill bit(s) or incompetence, or both, will ask local garage to undertake this ‘15’ minute job. Always happy to do as much as I can myself albeit with proper tools.

Did however manage to replace glove box bulb successfully, so day not a total loss lol.

Reply #3
I have a vague memory of removing the glove box liner to access the fan heater control I sure it just came out through the opening having taken the door off. I think it was a bit of a pig to get it out.
scs

Reply #4
Huzzah! for Gorilla super glue.

Pig to line up all four sides of inner shell onto glove box frame, undoubtedly due to plastic distortion from old age/sun heat, but managed to ‘line up’ after removing lower shelf unit. This glue uses moisture (brush surfaces with water) and air as catalysts to reach a strong bond after a couple of hours, albeit, it eventually takes on the colour of vomit.

Now realise annoying noise, emanating from passenger side whilst driving, probably caused by shell rattling around and/or loose fitted lower shelf (3 out of 5 screws not tightened up sufficiently).

Reply #5
A bit late to respond here....
Never had an issue with the glovebox coming apart but it is a pig to remove. I think the tip is to pull the top down distorting it so it misses the lock catch mount.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel