Skip to main content
Topic: Batteries... (Read 376 times) previous topic - next topic

Batteries...

Dene was asking about batteries elsewhere and it got me looking at them again, specifically specs. etc.

I'm making this post for myself initially, but may be useful to others, so I can refer back when the time (hopefully soon) comes and I need one for the MK2.

I'd looked into them about 2 years ago when I wanted one for the 205, but it's all a bit cloudy now so needed a refresh.

The three basic things you're looking for and that every battery will have marked on it are -

1. Amp hours (Ah)

2. Cold Cranking Amps (CCA).

Not going to try and go over the above other than to say that in very simple terms Ah indicates the batteries out put and CCA is it's ability to turn over a cold engine... a quick Google and you'll find plenty of short, easy to understand explanations, but as rule of thumb the higher the number the greater the power / cranking ability.

More isn't necessarily better and as batteries aren't cheap it pays to match one with your needs rather than pay for extra performance you don't require. There'll be an optimum that suits you and going beyond it'll be pointless.

3. Short code or it's UK code equivalent.

This'll give you the batteries physical size in Width, Length and Height so you'll see if it'll actually fit the space or not.

An example of a short code is C11 which is the equivalent of UK code 075 and measures W. 175mm / L. 242mm / H. 175mm

Probably plenty of others out there but found the Varta site nails it with their search (by car type or battery code) / vehicle compatibility feature -

Varta

Re: Batteries...

Reply #1
Useful guide, wish I'd seen it before ordering a battery recently.
7Zap indicates 36AH/175A or 64AH/320A.  I assume that is petrol and diesel engines?
Euro Car Parts recomends 40AH/340CCA through to a more powerful 52AH/520CCA option.
I went for the 52AH/520CCA battery, but not at ECP prices.  I was surprised how small it is so fitted a vent pipe to avoid any expansion leakage onto the chassis leg.  Not sure if I have the right battery, not turned the key yet.