Skip to main content
Topic: ACF50 (Read 487 times) previous topic - next topic

ACF50

Not sure how commonly known this product is in car/classic car world but it's a big deal for all year bikers, and whilst I was just pondering this product it occurred to me that some of you (Monkey and L90E spring to mind) with your really really nice, high level builds, may well benefit from knowing about this.

As the history goes, it was developed for the aircraft industry, it's basically an anti corrosion coating but there's a lot more science to it so if anyone is interested it might be worth a look.

I was thinking of all these lovely zinc plated components etc, and with some of the 'repaired' metal the surface may still be pitted. This stuff will creep into nooks. It would be a shame to see some of these build looking a bit tired in a few years time.

For more info http://www.acf-50.co.uk/

I personally haven't used it, as I've never felt I've had anything nice enough to warrant protecting it.

It comes in small aerosols but also in bulk tubs with applicators, so if anyone is interested there's often deals on motorbike sites such as: https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/acf50-4-litre-refil-with-2-litre-hand-pump-pressure-sprayer-2459625

Re: ACF50

Reply #1
Sounds to be very good stuff, and for what it does not overly expensive, specially with that discount you've linked to.

Reply #2
Sounds good, then only sticking point I'd have thought was the "up to 12 months" line.
Does that mean we have to re-apply it every year?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
Yes, bikers that use it will usually do an annual deep clean then reapply, usually around this time of year 'hence the deals at the moment' before the salt hits the road. During the winter road dirt can be easily hosed off without effecting it.

I guess like any coating; polish, wax, ceramic etc. it doesn't last for ever.

But I'm sure it would benefit to get the car on stands with the wheels off once a year, jet wash the undercarriage and arches etc and give it a spray.

The alternative is the lano-oil stuff, but as far as i'm aware that's more of a coating of light grease, so I assume dirt is more likely to stick to it.

Also worth noting might last longer within the protected area of an engine bay. If you imaging how exposed motorbike components are by comparison.

Reply #4
I've used ACF50 on suspension components to good effect.

I am about to try out Lanoguard on my daily as a chassis ad cavity protector. Seems easy to apply.

Previously I have used Dinitrol wax and underseal products to good results.

Reply #5
I had over 40 years in the ac industry in the early days when an aircraft was washed if it was based near to the coast it was sprayed with wd 40 Later on in the commercial world we used dinitrol.
scs  

Reply #6
I use ACF 50, mainly for storing parts but also rubbed on alloy components to make them corrosion resistant.  Never thought of using it on plated parts but it is probably a good idea if you are going to show your car and nicely plated parts need to stay shiny.  I just slap Bilt Hamber Dynax-UC all over them.  Not pretty but I don't see myself showing the car and they do resist corrosion well.