Zender Z20...

Eh!

Re: Zender Z20...

Reply #1
MK1?

Reply #2
A glimmer of recognition Bill!

Yes... MK1 Golf, but oh so more than that.

Don't really know where to start with this other than to say I realise that many of you may not have heard of Zender, let alone the Z20.

Beginning this thread in the 'Your non MK2 Cars' section is a bit premature as I don't yet have a completed Z20.

What I do however have is 10 plus years of worldwide part scavenging and a MK1 to create the project.

While I don't understand the reaction sometimes, as the Z20 to me is my perfect car it does seem to occasionally get the opposite response too.

So before we start... be aware it's a long time decided, done deal for me and while your more than entitled to your opinion please don't spoil things... remember, like it or not, it's about the car and hopefully it's soon to begin journey, nothing else.

This is quite a well known image of an also quite famous Z20, not that you'll find that many.

It's one of two Helios blue cars (prepared by GTiEngineering) that started it for me and if I'm lucky the template for my own.

Reply #3
Always liked these, I did an Airfix type model wasn't Airfix but named something else of one of these in around 89 when I had my 1st 16v, it came with some Zender stickers that I ended up sticking on my 4 spoke copy of a Zender steering wheel in the car lol.

Reply #4
I've seen Revell kits for the MK2 Zender, they can fetch very strong money... a MK1 kit's now definitely on my to find list!

This was my MK1 around 2007'ish I think, before I once again began tinkering and it's since deteriorated into being a bare shell now, you'd think I'd have learned my lesson with the MK2.

Reply #5
Must've had a premonition as I've no idea what prompted me to search eBay over the week-end for Isaac Agnew (main VW dealer here for decades) but it threw this up... cheeky offer later and it's cleaned up like new.

Check out the telephone number, back then when I lived at home ours was a four digit number too.

Reply #6
Previously taken images of stuff gathered up over the (long) years that I've been planning this, all a bit random at the moment until I can concentrate on sorting it out.

Reply #7
There was a rounder arched Z2 bodykit also, the Z20 was a wider more squared arch evolution of it, made to accomodate these et20 7x15" Turbos...

Reply #8
Although Zender made most of their own bodykits and some styles of wheel quite a few of their other offerings were manufactured for them by contemprary well known main stream outfits and re-branded.

These are 'Smiths' gauges...

Reply #9
This wheel's just a standard 'Raid 1' beneath the rubber center pad...

Reply #10
A bit cloudy as it was well over a decade ago now, but if I recall correctly these started life as genuine Recaro accessories from a domestic market early 90's Toyota MR2.

What I do clearly remember though is their original garish patterned velour material which also hadn't worn that well.

About the same time replica Recaro stripe material was becoming available, might even have been that which prompted me to search out some seats.

I think you could get genuine stuff from Recaro if you were in the trade and also prove it was intended to re-cover authentic seats... they've a serial number / authenticity sticker on the metal frames, something like that.

As you can imagine the cost would've been horrendous.

Got to say the repro. material wasn't that expensive and the stuff I got is top notch quality, that's both the logo'd fabric and the plain black for the bolsters (called pineapple I think).

Believe I got mine from the Netherlands... just had a very quick look and can see similar stuff is being advertised, but can't vouch that it's the same as mine, nor it's quality.

The seats themselves, bolster foams, springs and hardware etc. were all 100%, just a case of having them recovered.

Local place did it and used the original covers as templates, so fit is perfect. Down side as I've now found out was that meant cutting / undoing Toyota's material and it seems it's now worth an arm and a leg these days! Live and learn.

They're bog standard Recaro's, Toyota seem to have just offered off the shelf ones as an option but in their own fabric which means they're identical to LX-C's.

C apparently means they have the extending under knew pad.

Again, was Googling before posting and was surprised to see Recaro have since started re-manufacturing the LX under a 'classic range' banner.

Recaro

The catalogue even shows them in a MK1...

e-Catalogue

The fishnet head rests are original to these seats, not uncommon but solid ones seem to be the standard offering.

More dodgy phone images.

I don't recall doing it, but must've bought a second bale to do the back seats when the time comes.

Reply #11
That's the mutts nuts, always loved those Zender wheels as well!

Reply #12
Looked into the legalities of these when I got it donkeys years ago, can't recall any of the specifics now other than we couldn't find any obvious reason why it wouldn't be... things may have changed over the years since so will be revisiting that one.

It's intended for road cars that may also be raced so utilises any existing 3 point belts fixing points.

The exception is the pigtail strap with its own buckle that branches off from the 2 x shoulder straps and is meant to be anchored somewhere behind. The usual choice is to substitute it for one of the existing rear seatbelt points. Would mean removing the back ones but not an issue.

Got to bear in mind it'll be going into a 1983 car and while MK1's had rear belts fitted as standard they weren't mandatory for a few years yet.

The belt's unused and type approved, even has it's TUV paperwork / certificates... you'd probably be better off wearing this than a standard belt of the era.

The pigtail on this age of belt is static but slightly later ones had an inertia reel, you can use either.

Was just looking on eBay.de and plenty of the standard Schroth belts about and some with inertia reels, something else to look into.

Reply #13
Found this image again on the inter-web... It's of some 'models' I have that were posted many years ago on another site which is long since gone, but this has resurfaced.

They were grouped together to show scale - the smallest is 1/43rd, the type you'd think of as Corgi etc.

The blue MK1 is to 1/18 scale and about 20cm's long.

The large red one is 1/5th scale.

It's of a MK2 Golf fitted out with the Zender Z60 body kit. There's also a Z600 kitted model, but I've never been able to find that one (and an even more impressive Mercedes 190) .... it's generally believed VW took their inspiration for the Rallye Golf from the full size Z60 / 600's.

Zender made the models themselves for showroom display use. This one hasn't been tampered with, but if you do turn one up they're generally repainted / fitted with remote control underpinnings.

Maybe stick up a few more piccies when it next comes out of the loft.

Reply #14
Found a very useful UK site that stock latter day Schroth belts.

They've a limited Q&A section and a downloadable Pdf from Schroth listing vehicles for which type approval has been granted going back to the early '70's, the MK1 Golf is included.

If I've read things correctly I was mistaken to think static and inertia reel pig tails are interchangable, Schroth intentionally made the buckles different sizes to prevent it though it's not clear why.

Seems that buckle is there for a reason and it's to allow you to disconnect the harness so a passenger can use the rear seats.

In those circumstances the vehicles original front and rear belts are to be used... had to read that a few times as it seems odd at first glance, but yes, my understanding is you would have both the original and harness fitted simultaneously thereby retaining the ability to carry rear passengers.