Skip to main content
Topic: Looking for a mk2 show standard car  (Read 898 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for a mk2 show standard car

Hi all ,

My name is Josh and I’m going to start looking soon for a mint mk2 golf gti . I’m after something that’s up to show quality standards to keep for use on a sunny day and just admire to be honest !! Had a few vw’s over the years , from polo g40 , mk5 Pirelli edition to a T6 transporter ( which we still have and love ) Always loved the mk2 and want to enjoy one with my young sons and wife on those spring / summer days

If anyone is thinking of selling their pride and joy please
get in touch .

My ideal spec would be a full restored / sprayed 20vt / quaife lsd / decent coilovers /BBS  etc ect … you get the idea :)

Willing to pay the right price for the right car but needs to be special.

Thank you :)

Re: Looking for a mk2 show standard car

Reply #1
Google Type19, they remanufacture cars to a high standard and also carry out engine upgrades. You sound like their type of customer.

Reply #2
Google Type19, they remanufacture cats to a high standard and also carry out engine upgrades. You sound like their type of customer.

Had a quick look thank you …. That sounds like a 30k invoice , haha .

Reply #3
if you find out how much one of their re-manufactured cars sells for I wouldn't mind knowing.  They put so much work in and I couldn't see how a MK2 would command a price to deliver a profit.

Reply #4
Yeah that’s what’s odd isn’t it . Not seen a’type19’ for sale , but looking at their website and know roughly what this sort of stuff costs to do nicely . They must be in the region of 30-50k!!

Where as I’ve seen some very high quality 20vt builds come up for 10-15k . So I’m hoping I can get one at around that sort of price point . Any more than that just doesn’t make sense to me .

Reply #5
Welcome and good luck with your search.
scs

Reply #6
Welcome along.

I've think you've got a very realistic price in mind for what you're after. Hopefully, you'll find a good one.

Interesting thing about type19 cars, yes they're probably looking for around 50k per resto, but they're completely booked up for months in advance, so there are people with money AND taste out there!

I'd love to do that for a living, restoring mk2s to the highest possible standard.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #7
Welcome along.

I've think you've got a very realistic price in mind for what you're after. Hopefully, you'll find a good one.

Interesting thing about type19 cars, yes they're probably looking for around 50k per resto, but they're completely booked up for months in advance, so there are people with money AND taste out there!

I'd love to do that for a living, restoring mk2s to the highest possible standard.

No 100% if I had the money I’d go to them for a complete build , would be absolutely amazing to have what would be a ‘new’ mk2 !

That’s good to know I should be able to find a good one at my price point .

Reply #8
Likewise, I'd love a 'new' mk2.
I'm currently trying to build one (check out my Red Rescue build thread), but I'll never get it to the level that those guys get.
After spending so much time cleaning/refurbishing/plating parts, I can certainly see why they ask the prices they do.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #9
  I’ll take a good look 👍🏼

Would love to have the time and knowledge to do a full build / resto on one but with a young family, small business and 3 cars and a truck already don’t have the time ( or the inclination to be honest !)

Reply #10
Welcome along.

Type19 are doing those of use with good original, good restors and good upgrades a favour. They will push up the price the market will accept.

Reply #11
Hi all ,

My name is Josh and I’m going to start looking soon for a mint mk2 golf gti . I’m after something that’s up to show quality standards to keep for use on a sunny day and just admire to be honest !! Had a few vw’s over the years , from polo g40 , mk5 Pirelli edition to a T6 transporter ( which we still have and love ) Always loved the mk2 and want to enjoy one with my young sons and wife on those spring / summer days

If anyone is thinking of selling their pride and joy please
get in touch .

My ideal spec would be a full restored / sprayed 20vt / quaife lsd / decent coilovers /BBS  etc ect … you get the idea :)

Willing to pay the right price for the right car but needs to be special.

Thank you :)

good  luck my mk2 is my daily
Old timer
mk2 golf atlas grey 2.0 abf
mk1 golf cabriolet gti sapphire blue KR conversion in progress

Reply #12
Hi Josh
I might have just what you are looking for? its a mk2 gti 8v, 5 door, in tornado red.
The car is completely original including paintwork, and can only be described as showroom condition, the mileage is genuine at a vry low 81000 miles and is backed up by all mot's and a full service history in a large A4 folder, looks and drives fantastic.
Original cars like this are very hard to come by these days and I had to look long and hard to find this.

Sorry if you've already sourced a car, but if not get in touch.