Skip to main content
Topic: Engine Stand Mounting Plate / Adapter... (Read 356 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine Stand Mounting Plate / Adapter...

I've been using the time away from the MK2 to think about the MK1, but hopefully got some good news this AM... that the MK2's door and bonnet may be ready for collection at the end of the week.

If that comes together the next phase will be the engine side of things.

The head was done by a local shop so the block and internals are alone on one of those standard issue stands you see everywhere these days.

Because of that you'll already know it's attached at the (removed) gearbox end.

I've seen adapter plates, both pre-made and self fabricated on the inter-web for the VR6 block that allows it to be held side on as opposed to the end for better access. I've also found one in the US for a 4 cylinder VW block, but I've not looked into that deeper yet other than to say it don't appear at first glance to be for standard MK2 blocks - will post up a link when I find it again.

So, the question is... are you aware of an off the shelf adapter plates for 4 cylinder MK2 engines or made your own / is it even technically doable and safe because of the limited connection points available and offset nature of them?

Finished my grinder plinth project at welding so thought I might be able to fabricate something suitable.

Even I can, it's the 'will it work' aspect that's the unknown... don't want the block landing on the floor from waist height!

Re: Engine Stand Mounting Plate / Adapter...

Reply #1
When I rebuilt the wives VR motor, I used the standard engine stand mount, lined up all the holes and then repositioned the mount to be as central to the engine as possible, for weight distribution.  Had to drill one hole through the plate for the access to the bolt, but other than that, it fitted ok and was on the stand for months!
Untitled by Dave Ackerman, on Flickr
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Re: Engine Stand Mounting Plate / Adapter...

Reply #2
Cheers for the image... I'd nothing to compare to and that confirms the picture I had in my mind of it set up using what's already there.

I'm assuming the VR6 is heavier than the 4 pot, maybe even significantly?

Even not, the standard stand has a claimed max. permissible weight that's well above that of either engine, probably even with head / ancilliaries attached so that wasn't the main concern.

It's the considerable off set of the attachment points... you'd imagine they're going to be the focus of all the weight, specially if the blocks needs rotated.

The 4 x engine mount bolt points / bolts are also a lesser size than the size used if attached to the gearbox end.

This is the adapter I found on line, I'm not up on my engine designations etc. but it may be suitable for the PB block I have.

Even not, it's going to be similar, with the 2 x extensions to accomodate the engines rear profile.

Big money for what is two tubes welded to a standard looking mount and no intention of buying it but it's a good reference point.

Also seems to support (no pun) the idea that the exisiting rear engine mount points are sufficient to hold it?

I'm going to mock up something and will post up a piccy, I've some ideas swirling about that'll likely be over thinking / engineering the problem but I'm doing this not only because of a need but also making a welding project out of it.

Eurowise