Skip to main content
Topic: Subframe hitting gearbox (Read 502 times) previous topic - next topic

Subframe hitting gearbox

Hi guys,Bit of a strange one,this!
I had a Garage change a corroded front subframe Track Control arm on my 8v recently.
Took the car back in for some more work today,and the Garage said that they found the Control arm that they had replaced a few weeks previously was contacting with the gearbox.
They managed to move the components around a little so as to remedy the contact,but they wouldn't take any money,saying to drive it over Christmas,and to take it back if there were any problems.
The question is,could the contact between the arm and the gearbox cause any expensive damage to the gearbox casing?
Cheers.

Re: Subframe hitting gearbox

Reply #1
The short answer is no, the gearbox is nowhere near the control arm. Do you have anything else, rattling noises? Pictures?

Reply #2
No pictures, unfortunately,and only noticed a slight groan when parking on fulll left-hand lock.No bangs etc.
Thought a CV boot had leaked or something.
It's just a bit strange that the garage didn't want to charge me anything,when they had obviously spent time on it!

Reply #3
The only reason I can think of for not charging is it was something they had done caused the problem.
scs

Reply #4
The only reason I can think of for not charging is it was something they had done caused the problem.
scs

I was wondering that too
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #5
scs
My thoughts too, I can't see though how a control arm can contact with the gearbox.  So whatever they corrected was not what they say it was.  But whatever it was it needs monitoring.  Where do you go with that?