Skip to main content
Topic: Something a bit Italian (Read 491 times) previous topic - next topic

Something a bit Italian

Well ol Jezza says you have to at least own one in your life if you are a true petrolhead, although it's diesel! 2011 Guiletta JTDM Veloce 170bhp, goes like stink, rather taken with it as it reminds me a bit of a fresh mk2, couldn't resist at the price!!!!

Re: Something a bit Italian

Reply #1
Very nice, quirky styling and often overlooked I think. Been keen to know longer term ownership thoughts/niggles as have been looking at identical spec ones for the wife.

Re: Something a bit Italian

Reply #2
Well I can give you a short term review now after doing a few hundred in it.

Being near 6ft took me a while to find a good seat position and still not sure if I've nailed it as my ankle aches a bit but that could just be getting used to muscle memory of a different car, pedals are quite close together but you get used to them, there is no space on the left to rest clutch foot but it doesn't really bother me.

Diesel engine doesn't sound very refined but once on the go it's very smooth through the revs and pulls like a train in D, it starts in N which is quite sedate and light on steering, I'd say it's detuned to the lower 140 map in N, if you then hold the acc and click it in to D all hell breaks loose and it surges, the steering weightens up and throttle response is instant, bit like driving a PAS MK2 then a non PAS MK2 back to back.

Engine is a FIAT affair and pretty reliable by all accounts, used in a lot of FIAT and ALFA, I also believe some Vauxhalls use the base engine.

Talking of MK2's it does remind me of one in a way with the steering and gearbox, it's notchy but precise, you don't miss a gear and the gearknob just feels right in the hand, has a normal handbrake too which is a bonus these days.

Seats, well they are just the nuts, supportive but comfy and just look at them! 129k and seems to be no wear, same with all the interior it shows little to no wear and everything works, the materials are all a mix of soft and hard but it works, the leather wheel is nice to hold and chunky, reminds me of a MOMO.

It has Blue and Me which connects to phone for calls and you have controls on wheel, still figuring it out a bit but it works well, it doesn't stream music though which is a pain, but it has a USB aux in which I just connected an old IPod to and it works great with steering wheel, also has voice commands but not explored these much yet.

Dash clocks are very sporty and the trip computer has a lot of info, it also has a boost gauge in the display which is quite cool.

Driving wise in D it's quick if you hit the loud pedal and steering is pointy and precise, I've pushed it to the limit and it stays composed, not much body roll and quite stiff, I'm liking it, not had a hatchback for many years and it takes me back to the MK2 driving days.

Would I buy one, well I did but it was based on cost, the equivalent Golf 2011 120 odd k would have cost me more than double what I paid for this maybe even triple, yes I got it cheap but looking around they are sub 3k anyway which to me is a steal.

If you are looking to buy one I would go for a slightly later one with the updated infotainment system and also lower tax, this is 130 a year but I think 2014 on are 30 quid a year, buy on condition and a FSH is a must as they are 20k service intervals, for the spec you get for the price it's a no brainer, forget the ALFA of old, this is essentialy a FIAT in an ALFA frock, is it the best in it's class 'no' but pound for pound I'd say yes and it isn't a Golf/Focus/Astra etc etc