Skip to main content
Topic: Rear door locked solid (Read 426 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear door locked solid

Posting on the off chance someone else has had the same happen and knows a way of fixing it that doesn't involve me cutting up my door card (or worse)

MOT day today and discovered the locking pin won't come up. Which means I can't unlock the door and therefore it's failed the MOT.

I've had door handles go bad a not ope the door when it's unlocked but the door handle works as it should (when the door is locked).

I'm assuming something is wrong with the wire the runs from the pin at the leading edge of the door through to the lock itself at the back edge of the door, but I can't see as the door card is in the way and I don't think I can remove the door car the the door shut.

Any ideas💡
Begging 🙏

Re: Rear door locked solid

Reply #1
I've not had the problem but I recall @Eddypeck having to take his front door panel off to refit the plastic "button".
I'm assuming you can't pull the button up?
To take the door panel off you will need to undo the 2x screws down each side. This might be difficult and require folding the back seat forward to get access with the screwdriver. If you can remove these then you can hopefully unclip the bottom of the inner door panel from the plastic clips and pull it away. You will need to peel the top of the panel out of the plastic window sill at the top. Hopefully you can now remove the panel and investigate.

1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #2
I've had it on the front door before, the lock itself was full of dirt etc and wouldn't unlock.
I managed to get it out by pulling the rubber door seal.
I think I managed to start at the top and then pull the seal past the actual lock and striker, giving access.
I then used a long screwdriver to operate the latch manually and open the door.

Good luck!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
Thanks AndyBa & Monkey

I'm going to take the back seat out and see what I can access. Keep your fingers crossed 🤞

Will let you know what happens

Reply #4
Good memory, I'd forgotten I'd had an issue but do remember having to try and remove the door card from a locked door. It was front passenger side. I have a 3dr. You can access the screws in the side of the door card if you peel back the door rubber a bit.

Reply #5
Pleased to report the door is now open and the lock replaced.

Took the rear seat out removed the plastic trim dow the side of the door shut the leveled back the seal.

Had to check the new lock to work out which bit I needed to move with the screw driver, but once I'd worked it out I had the door open in no time.

All back together now and MOT pass should be sorted tomorrow. All ready for the mk2 meet at Caffeine and Machine on Thursday

Thanks for all the help

Reply #6
All ready for the mk2 meet at Caffeine and Machine on Thursday

Hi,
I should be there, please make yourself know and say hi.
I'll be in my white J plate big bumper 3 door. J79 PVC, and my real name is Tim  8)