Skip to main content
Topic: windscreen wipers (Read 1348 times) previous topic - next topic

windscreen wipers

When I got my mk2 the wipers all worked now however nothing works on the wiper stalk. Fuse checked and is intact. power is getting to the plug. Nothing works front or rear or washers. Would the whole lot fail at once if the stalk is faulty?
scs

Re: windscreen wipers

Reply #1
When my wiper stalk failed the washers came on until the water bottle emptied and the wipers were constantly on. That was an interesting trip home!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #2
I have googled this problem it appears quite a common problem. One fix was the x relay which also stops the heater fan working and if you flash the headlights the wipers work as well as the fan,  my fan works all the time its selected and the wipers don't work if you operate the flash function. I have too assume the relay is fine. Could the problem be a knackered switch? I would have thought some of the selections would work even if the switch is shot.

Reply #3
problem solved simple fix of a plug not seated correctly and had become dislodged. Access was very difficult.
scs

Reply #5
Suffering from a similar issue on my 1986 Gti. The heater blower, wipers and horn don’t work at the moment.

Daft question but what is the x relay?

Reply #6
Suffering from a similar issue on my 1986 Gti. The heater blower, wipers and horn don’t work at the moment.

Daft question but what is the x relay?

Not daft, if you don’t know… no judgement here.

It’s in position 8 on CE1. See here….

https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=58.0

Reply #7
Awesome. Thank you! Removed the relay, it’s broken - but I’m not sure if it’s because it sparked when I took it out (forgot to disconnect the battery, oops). Either way I’ll get a new one and try it…

Reply #8
An update on the blower / wiper situation… I’ve changed the relay which saw the wipers spring into action for about 1/2 a second… before dying again. I’m wondering whether this is a wiring issue behind the fuse board, might take it to a professional next unless anyone has any ideas?
Cheers all

Reply #9
Sounds like you have a short circuit which has probably blown the relay again. Cant help much as electrics are a mystery to me.
scs

Reply #10
Thanks! Not my forte either, time for some professional input I think