Skip to main content
Topic: Is my car overheating? 86 1.3 CL (Read 385 times) previous topic - next topic

Is my car overheating? 86 1.3 CL

Hello,

My Golf has another bit off an issue, its on a roll at the moment. I took it for an MOT and asked them to replace the thermostat housing as it was leaking coolant where it met the engine. They did that and it no longer leaks, all good. They also said they had to replace the thermostat - side note it doesn't look like the thermostat flange has been refitted quite correctly.

I picked it up and drove it about 30 miles, during which time it was getting to almost 3/4 on the temp gauge and staying there. Once hot it was also cutting out each time the revs dropped to idle speeds.

I knew the carb flange needed doing (I think the garage had knocked the air filter or something and made it worse) so I replaced that and now it doesn't cut out, but I'm still not sure about the temperature and whether or not something is wrong.

Its still getting to near 3/4 on the gauge and staying pretty firm, last night I let it get hot and felt the bottom hose from the radiator and it was cold. Also, whilst it doesn't cut out any more the car struggles to idle as it gets hot. Otherwise its running well.

I've read a load of stuff on what temperatures they should get to before fans kicking in, but, assuming the garage have used the correct thermostat, at what point should it open?

I've checked the coolant level and that's all good and oil is clear.

Anyway sorry for the essay and thanks in advance, just trying to get some advice before draining the coolant and messing with the thermostat!

Re: Is my car overheating? 86 1.3 CL

Reply #1
Just incase this helps anyone, the fault turned out to be a result of the garage not bleeding the coolant. Ran the car with the coolant cap off, squeezed the pipes, topped up the coolant (took another litre) and now the car maintains operating temperature and the bottom hose gets warm 👍

Reply #2
That's a relief glad you were able to sort the issue out.

Reply #3
Good stuff. I always end up giving all the hoses a good squeeze. It's a tense moment hoping that I've bled all the air out and it isn't going to overheat...and  I'm getting hot air into the cabin.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel