since i have to go off-road from time to time
and do not like the hole side and rear muddy,
i am searching for 2, 6 or 8 mud flaps.

it may look like a old man's car, then,
but yes, i want it, plus i already have 2
on the front side.

once i saw them on a wreck yard,
but they scrapped the car all to fast.

i found a fitting manual (mk3, but same for mk2)
and a picture out of an out of stock offer:

may anyone give me a hint, where i may get them cheep ?
they do not need to be new.

Re: mud flaps

Reply #1
Getting them cheap is impossible. Getting a full set from one car will be a struggle. You need a breaker that  that breaks multiple MK2s. You could try MK2 Spares here in UK.

These are MK2 flaps, not available new and different to the Mk3 flaps in your post:

Reply #2
shure ? my mk2 came with them
plus i have seen them on the wreck yard car,
which was a golf 2 held by the german post office.

if you where right, i should, of coarse, have the old ones on,
but is it possible, that some mk2's where equipped
with the new ones by factory ?

Reply #3
UK cars were sold without flaps. Flaps were sold as an accessory or fitted by the dealer prior to delivery.
The flaps were then lost, getting caught on kerbs or if not lost they rotted over time. Flaps are no longer common on UK cars.

Reply #4
You're fortunate being in Germany, they turn up on eBay.de regularly enough though prices can vary dramatically so don't pay over the odds for some.

Ebay.it is also a good source and prices are usually sensible too. Google translate is your friend, 'fanghi' in Italian (plus change you search criteria to Italy only) will get you some hits though you'll know that as with German there are various different names they go by.

Allegro.pl is a goldmine, but brexit shut the door on that for me unfortunately, you should be OK.

The ones you've pictured / linked to are MK2 items, but for big bumper cars. 191 075 112 are the fronts and 191 075 111 the rears.

Simple way of telling is the fronts have an unpainted VW roundal, the rears are highlighted in white.

Not sure what you're planning to put them on so be aware there are slightly different profiles / versions that look similar, for example some for cars with plastic arches and some for those without.

If you do find some you're interested in, factor in whether or not they come with the hardware to attach them. The correct parts aren't essential but they do utilise existing holes / clips so as to do away with drilling and / or prevent metal to metal contact.

I've the instructions for the big bumper MK2 GTI flaps, though can't find them at the moment, but they're very similar to the MK3 version you've linked to.

Reply #5
This is an old image, I'll try and put up some clearer ones of the fitting details when I track it down...

Reply #6
@L90E we have small bumper cars, only.
could this be the reason, why only the front mudflaps,
of the mk3-like version, are on ?

i already unfitted and refitted those front mudflaps
for  painting the fenders. but well, maybe it helps :-)

thank you for your hints. i will take a look.

Reply #7
Double check as I'm not certain this is correct - It's possible the mudflaps for non-GTI cars (models without plastic arch extensions) are part # Front 191 075 102 and Rear 191 075 101.

I have found both numbers claimed for each when you Google, making it impossible to tell what is correct.

Something I did find that might interest you are these - eBay.de

These are clearly marked as 191 075 101 and for the rears, the image suggests they are for small bumper models, but would need confirming.

I was wondering if mudflaps were or still are mandatory in parts of Europe in the same way that winter tyres are?

You'll find current recommendations are to use winter wheels in combination with mudflaps, even it wasn't obligatory it may still have been done in practice... could explain why you thought they were fitted from the factory?

The earliest reference I can find to winter tyres being made compulsory is on the Nokian site, they quote 1978 as when it became law in Finland, well before MK2's appeared... may well be the rest of Europe followed, but just speculating.

Reply #8

Reply #9
thank you for all the information.

i tried to send you a pm,
but it said "User 'L90E' has blocked your personal message.".

in germany, mud flaps do not seem mandatory.

i do not have much knowledge about parts, fitted by the dealer.
cause of this i probably linked it to the factory.

Reply #10
It's nothing personal... every one's locked out!

Reply #11
Did you bid on the rear flaps?

See they went for a massive €8.30 in the end... granted that was a genuine bargain, but they quite often go for not that much more if you look around.

Reply #12
my rear end is fine, thank you.

if you stumble upon another 4,
let me now anyway.