Skip to main content
Topic: DVLA new number plates released as change impacts thousands of drivers (Read 438 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: DVLA new number plates released as change impacts thousands of drivers

Reply #1
But is that only for new cars?

Reply #2
I did hear that for older cars too; however I can’t confirm
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #3
Oddly written article.

Our number plate issuing in N. Ireland differs from the rest of the UK, so I've never had the need to look into how it works elsewhere in any detail.

But have you not had the twice yearly number change for decades?

Is it the bit about the British Standard changing for plate manufacturers that's the news?

If so the only impact I can see is that it's trying to make plates physically more durable plus tighten up on certain spacing / fonts / emblems etc. that aren't currently illegal.

Shouldn't effect existing plates... there's been font / spacing rule changes in the past and they only apply to vehicles registered after a certain date and aren't retrospectively applied.

Reply #4
BS AU 145e plates actually became enforcable Aug 2021 which also took out the metal German style plates even though they were legal BS AU 145d as I was looking to get some, it's to do with they have to made from reflective material not added on reflection but the metal plates makers have somehow got around this as I managed to get some legal metal ones with the 'e' on.

It will affect all cars regardless of age if you fit new plates as plate dealers can only supply BS AU 145e now, it doesn't mean every one has to replace their plates.

83-99 was the last time they use a letter prefix for year 83 being A and 2001 being Y and they only used to issue plates once a year in August so there was a massive spike in car sales around then, they introduced issuing them twice a year after that went to a AAOO the first 2 letters being the area identifier followed by year of reg,

But yeah that article is all over the shop, 22 and 72 are the next numbers in line for the year nothing changing there!

Reply #5
A cynical person might think they were trying to 'help' the ANPR system work better.