Skip to main content
Topic: How To Swap Your Clocks (Read 471 times) previous topic - next topic

How To Swap Your Clocks

(thanks to Monkey)

Quick guide to swap the speedo on your mk2 should you ever feel the need. (as I had to recently)

This can be done using just a screwdriver and a blanket (I'll explain later) ;)

To make the pictures clearer, I've removed my steering wheel.  You don't have to, but is does make things a little easier. If you do take it off, don't forget to torque it up properly after!

First off, take all your switches etc out, they all pop out (sometimes with a little wiggling).

Next up are the circled screws holding in the fascia.

Once you have them out, you'll find the fascia will come easily, but don't forget to disconnect the handbrake (and fluid level) warning light.  They're easily broken.

Then you should be looking at something like this

The clocks themselves are held in with 2 screws.
Here

And here

With the screws out, you have to remove the speedo drive.  It's a pain in the arse to wiggle out, to do it you have to make a little room.  At the base of the clocks, there are two pins sat in a bracket, you can pull the clocks forward a little to get them free and then the clocks will drop down a little, like so...

From here you have to reach around the back and pinch/wiggle the speedo cable free of the clocks.  Then you will have more room, allowing you to pull free the vacuum pipe and the loom (note on CE1 looms, you will have 2 connectors to remove)

Once done you're free to put the new clocks in, and here's where the blanket comes in.

Before you connect anything, plug the loom into the clocks and then re-connect the headlight switch. Get out your blanket and use it to block out all the light between you and your new clocks, then turn on the headlights and make sure all three of your dash bulbs work properly.  There's nothing worse than completing the swap, driving it about and then not being able to see anything when it gets dark!
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit