Skip to main content
Topic: gearbox oil (Read 630 times) previous topic - next topic

gearbox oil

I thought I would change the oil in my gearbox as it is not a scheduled item. Bought the correct oil drained the contents of the gearbox about 1/4 liter of oil drained out. Luckily the car has not been driven far and the gearbox appears fine. 2 liters refilled and all ok. Just a warning for owners to remember to check the level  occasionally. Could save a lot of grief.

Re: gearbox oil

Reply #1
automatic or manual transmission ?
where can i check the oil level on a manual transmission ?
how often would, or how far can i drive till,
i need to change the oil in either case ?
is there a way to check if the oil is still ok ?

do i need to put new grease
on the mechanics of the gear switching lever ?

Reply #2
My car is a manual gearbox and 1990 spec I think it depends on the gearbox age with regards to checking levels. I think the gear linkage is mostly plastic connections so should not need grease. I am not sure what the requirement is on replacing the gear box oil is.
I have a feeling there is no recommended service interval but I might be mistaken.

Reply #3
automatic or manual transmission ?
where can i check the oil level on a manual transmission ?
how often would, or how far can i drive till,
i need to change the oil in either case ?
is there a way to check if the oil is still ok ?

do i need to put new grease
on the mechanics of the gear switching lever ?

You shouldn't drive if there is insufficient oil in your gearbox.
There is a level plug on the side of a 020 gearbox but because the box is tilled back the correct level is above the level plug.  If oil flows put it back quickly, there is likely to be enough.
Catch some of the oil that comes out, is it dirty? burnt smelling? emulsified? contaminated with metal or plastic?  If it is clear and slippery no need to change.
Mileage for checking?  I'd suggest every 50k unless you have had an oil leak.  In which case check immediately.
Grease on the linkages gets dirty with road grit and forms a grinding paste that wears your linkage.

Reply #4
My car is a manual gearbox and 1990 spec I think it depends on the gearbox age with regards to checking levels. I think the gear linkage is mostly plastic connections so should not need grease. I am not sure what the requirement is on replacing the gear box oil is.
I have a feeling there is no recommended service interval but I might be mistaken.
I've had three VAG gearboxes that went to very high mileages.  All three got their first oil change at 100k miles and one of them a second at 200k miles. 
The box has been the weak point on my MK2.  Lost count of the number of oil changes in 90k miles.