Skip to main content
Topic: Syncro or CL? (Read 919 times) previous topic - next topic

Syncro or CL?

Greetings from Sweden!

My first post here so tell me if im posting in the wrong topic. (Posting here and on Mk2 Chat)

My name is Wilhelm and i have been looking for a mk2 in good condition for over a year for my 18th birthday. (Due to my nordic settlement my English will be quite poor). Im trying to choice between to cars that i have found. One Syncro from 1990 for 25000kr (roughly 2400€) with 22000km on the odometer and 98hp in a ok condition. And one CL (driver) owned by a old man in my neighborhood with 8000km wich i fell in love with the first time i saw it. In a silver metallic colour and almost mint condition!

My question: let the heart choice ore acting like a businessman and choice the more coveted car? And is the CL still fun to drive with its small 75hp engine and 5speed gerbox? Its quite vauge information but it would be fun to hear your opinions!

Re: Syncro or CL?

Reply #1
Hi and welcome. In your own words you are looking for a MK2 in good condition. You have found one that you like very much.

Both cars have very low milage, have I miss read?  One is mint and one OK. Judging by your age I suspect you need a car you can drive?  I would check both cars for rust and reject if they need welding, hopefully one won’t.
On the question of syncro vs front drive I dislike 4 wheel drive. It ruins the balance of a car. I avoid 4 wheel drive but You will have more snow. But front drive with snow tyres is good.
Performance wise there will not be much to separate the cars. The sycro has more power but has the weight and inefficiency to cope with. I personally would enjoy a front drive car over 4 wheel, even if the 4 wheel was fractionally faster.
Drive them and see what you think.

Reply #2
Hi and welcome. In your own words you are looking for a MK2 in good condition. You have found one that you like very much.

Both cars have very low milage, have I miss read?  One is mint and one OK. Judging by your age I suspect you need a car you can drive?  I would check both cars for rust and reject if they need welding, hopefully one won’t. On the question of syncro vs front drive I dislike 4 wheel drive. It ruins the balance of a car. I avoid 4 wheel drive but You will have more snow. But front drive with snow tyres is good.
Performance wise there will not be much to separate the cars. The sycro has more power but has the weight and inefficiency to cope with. I personally would enjoy a front drive car over 4 wheel, even if the 4 wheel was fractionally faster.
Drive them and see what you think.

Thanks for answering PWardy! Thats rigth! I think that you have read correctly but be aware that i wrote Km and not Miles. Yes i need a car that I can drive and have fun with but i dont need a fast and poweful car. Both cars have a little bit of rust under the rear bumper and on the tailgate but it looks ok. There will be more snow in the winter here in Sweden as you said but i think i will invest in the CL!

Reply #3
Welcome to the forum. I agree with with pwardy the 2 wheel drive sounds the best option. Condition is everything I think having had a cl in the past they are fast enough to keep up with the traffic and would be a simpler car to maintain

Reply #4
Welcome to the forum. I agree with with pwardy the 2 wheel drive sounds the best option. Condition is everything I think having had a cl in the past they are fast enough to keep up with the traffic and would be a simpler car to maintain
Thanks! The CL even has fabric cover on the seats so its in really good condition and the owner has a Passat -88 wich he bougth new! Yeah it seems like the Syncro is only ”fun” to drive in the winter and that the CL is fun to drive all year allround! I have been warned that cars with the 4speed gearbox isnt as joyfull to drive as the 5speed and 4speed + Economy?

Reply #5
I though 4 speed gearbox was only available in the small capacity cars?  1.6 and 1.8 get 5 and perhaps 4+E?
You indicated that the CL you are considering is 75 hp. Here the engine would be 1.6 with 5 speed. Other markets could be different.

Reply #6
Welcome along!
In this case, like the others, I'm going to side with the CL.
Nowadays, even the latest mk2 is 31 years old, so I'd always say get the best condition Golf you can get.
You can't enjoy it if it needs lots of welding!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #7
I though 4 speed gearbox was only available in the small capacity cars?  1.6 and 1.8 get 5 and perhaps 4+E?
You indicated that the CL you are considering is 75 hp. Here the engine would be 1.6 with 5 speed. Other markets could be different.
In Sweden the 1.6 and 1.8 had a 4speed in the early years at least i think.

Reply #8
Welcome along!
Nowadays, even the latest mk2 is 31 years old, so I'd always say get the best condition Golf you can get.
Yeah! It dont need any welding only some repainting on the tailgate and ”re blackening” (what is it called) on the plastic details to look mint!

Reply #9
Sounds like we have a winner then!

Also, for your black trim, I really recommend Solution Finish.
The video below shows how well it can work.
https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/solution-finish.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAjwuYWSBhByEiwAKd_n_sdeJIHsIUZXPaY6byMUL-XVWJgFgNe57Cx7lsTqeQTrOYBnoT9gShoCnLwQAvD_BwE
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #10
Welcome along!
Yeah! It dont need any welding only some repainting on the tailgate and ”re blackening” (what is it called) on the plastic details to look mint!

Don't blacken the plastic if the car is a good one.  The product to use is Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer.  This is my 33 year old plastic treated with C4

Only blacken if the plastic is badly faded.

Reply #11
Welcome along!

Don't blacken the plastic if the car is a good one.  The product to use is Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer.  This is my 33 year old plastic treated with C4

Only blacken if the plastic is badly faded.

Yeah! Thats right! The fading on the plastic details on the car isnt that bad but it would need just a mild blackening to look good. It looks like the fading is worst on the mirrors and just dark grey on the bumpers etc. We have a similar product to C4 here in Sweden.