Skip to main content
Topic: Rear axle refresh - question & worth upgraded any parts?  (Read 646 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear axle refresh - question & worth upgraded any parts?

Hello all,

I've dropped the rear axle and am stripping it down for sandblasting and coating. I haven't yet taken off the carrier plates that mount the axle to the body, I would like to get these coated too but am concerned about lining up the - short of drawing some lines around it is there any float or is it fixed in its mounting points and I am worrying about nothing?

My next question is - is it worth worth upgrading stuff likes brakes. I vagulely rememeber Polo stub axles but my searches have not found the threads. I am replacing brake lines from the engine bay backwards and every part on the axle. I will probably remain with OEM bushes as do love a struggle.

Cheers
Matt

Re: Rear axle refresh - question & worth upgraded any parts?

Reply #1
I've literally just done this one one my red golf:
Untitled by Dave Ackerman, on Flickr

Advice I can give is:
100% buy new caliper carrier bolts - not a standard size and I guarantee the last guy has rounded them.
Buy new stub axle bolts, usually very rusty
If you're refurbishing the calipers, don't buy the cheap kit, they miss out half the bits
Rear beam poly bushes are so much easier to install than stock ones

As for the Polo rear hubs, nice little upgrade, but not cheap, if you can find the parts, expect to part with at least £300 by the time it's all done.
Tim actually got a video of me doing it to the blue one...
https://youtu.be/Dg-KbVQO-GM

Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
Ahh thanks Monkey - that was where I saw it on the vid! I was looking for a threads on forums DOH! I think at £300+ i will stick with the mk2 gear.

I had thought about the powerflex for their ease. I'm stock bushings everywhere else but might upgrade the rear front wishbone to the r32/lcr solid rubber as have that on the corrado and mk3. I've never tried powerflex before - is it really noticeable in terms of harshness. I like a little bit of compliance ... but I can see it will be super easy to install.

I had to use my friend Irwin on the carrier bolts :D

I am now at the stage where I need to remove the stud axle (and bushes but have got my head around that). Re Stud axle at first glance it looks like you cant get a socket the bolts becuase the stud axle is partially obscuring them. Might have just been my tired eyes last night?

I will get the calipers refurb'd but what about upgrading to mk4 calipers? I have to change all of the braided lines (had to cut 2 of them.

I'm also on the look out for brake flaring and shaping tools as need to now learn this skill. I couldn't get the nuts to free from the regulator so cut all four as plan to replace the regulator (even with a 7/16th brake tool) and also one of the brake lines had been kinked/bent in the middle of the floor pan I assume from when it was running a stance scene low rider car lol.

Luckily the front end has all be rebuilt so that saves some pennies (new subframe etc etc) however sadly does need to come down as there is some  flacky underseal to be solved - why the prev owner didn't sort that stuff before installation I can't work out!

Reply #3
I had to use my friend Irwin on the carrier bolts :D

Worth their weight in gold!

The overall cost depends on how much you can get the 2nd hand parts for .
I was lucky and got a set for about £70-£80.  But I've seen them going upwards of £150 recently!
The new parts are only about £60. So hunt around, you may get lucky.

The stub axle shouldn't obscure the bolts, perhaps the bearing dust shield is still on there?

Also, try to buy genuine caliper carrier bolts, they're a fine thread, so you can't go fitting normal bolts in there.
And if you do go for the polo setup, you need to buy polo specific (longer) carrier bolts, as the stub axle is thicker.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #4
Ahh if longer bolts are need the non polo route has already been decided for me - i have 6x gen carrier bolts already here.

What is a fair price for sandblasting and coating a rear beam? First time I've done this sort of work and have a few local companies to approach. Anything I should be looking for such as Zinc primer or something for rust prevention?

Reply #5
For just the rear beam, I'm not so sure, some places will charge you per trolley load.
That's what it was for me, I paid £200 for the blasting and that again for the zinc and powdercoat treatment.
Because of this, I put every metal part I could get off the car and an extra slam panel for good measure!
Untitled by Dave Ackerman, on Flickr
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster