Skip to main content
Topic: Dubmuffin's How to - Lay Flat Rear Wiper (Read 795 times) previous topic - next topic

Dubmuffin's How to - Lay Flat Rear Wiper

Here is one of my old guides from the old site. Pictures are borrowed from the internet as mine have been lost! :(

VW put the wiper on the MK2 at a very odd angle as standard - supposedly for aerodynamics! - but I believe it looks much better when aligned flat with the bottom of the window. Here is a short guide on how to do this easy mod for yourself!

You will need:
- Flatheaded screwdriver (average sized)
- 10mm spanner or socket
- Plyers or another form of grips

Firstly remove the black plastic trim from the boot of your car. There should be 5 small clips which pop off to release it.

Underneath you shall see the wiper mechanism:

The bolt in the very middle needs to be undone. Once you have taken this off, the bronze/gold coloured arm needs to be removed. This can be very difficult in some cars, and easy in others, which is why I have reccomended using plyers!

You should then be presented with this:

Now from the OUTSIDE of the car move the wiper arm to the desired new position.

Once in place, re-bolt the arm which you removed in the previous step - this can be quite tricky as in most cases the grey arm will be slightly in the way like so:

Make sure it is tight so no movement will be allowed!

Now test the wiper. It may take a few attempts to get it right or to get the wiper sitting exactly as you want it to, but you should have no real issues  :mrgreen:

Becca
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit