Skip to main content
Topic: taking the blower motor apart (Read 681 times) previous topic - next topic

taking the blower motor apart

i know i could have the creachy blower motor new for a few bugs,
but i would really like to save the original from the 80's
(leave the frame fixing for me, a family member dropped it)

so, how to remove the split pins from the shaft ?

how would you fix the screaching
(the fan blades do vibrate from time to time
around the motor axis) ?

something else, i should know ?

Re: taking the blower motor apart

Reply #1
there are 3 snap in latches made of rubber on the side,
but it does not move, when i press them and pull on the wheel.

what am i doing wrong ?

Reply #2
When I had my motor out I just ran some oil into the bearings.  Probably the wrong thing to do but as my car will never be run daily, or in winter, the bearings probably do not need the protection of grease. I felt a bit of oil would be better than 30 year old grease.
My motor though was not noisy, there was no excess movement in the bearings; it was just a bit stiff.  If you can feel roughness or play in the bearings, and considering the broken case, I would suggest a used replacement.

Reply #3
Try removing the (metal?) plate on the side of the black plastic housing with the electrical plug first, it's out of view in your images. Should unclip easily.

On its reverse are connectors to the motor itself which can also be disconnected so the plate can be taken off entirely.

Releasing the three tabs on the case that you mention should be all that is holding the motor / fan in place.

I'm assuming LHD and RHD blowers are if not the same at least a similar set up.

Possibly being 30+ years in place has stuck things together more than you'd imagine?

Reply #4
as it turned out, i was to shy regarding the housing,
(i got it off by slipping 3 small screwdrivers underneeth the 3 tabs (thx @L90E),
so they end up about parallel to the housing, and pulling on he housing and the blades)
but not so regarding the washer like thingy which i  broke:

what to do now ?

the 2 ripped off metal parts are still sticking in the plastic.
i've pounded the shaft with a hammer,
but to me it looks like the blades would brake first.

@PWardy it's stiff like yours, but noisy anyway.
i tried it with oil. it has not worked.
after all i'm just curious, how one could repair this thing :-)

Reply #5
i got it out by putting the shaft into a vise and turning back and forth while pulling.

does anybody know where to get a spare for the shaft clamp ?
are they standard ?

Reply #6
Google star lock washers and select the correct size, this is the first I came across:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274673087644?chn=ps&var=574984464977&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=574984464977_274673087644&targetid=1278608951896&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=1007017&poi=&campaignid=14727339348&mkgroupid=127909237815&rlsatarget=pla-1278608951896&abcId=9300672&merchantid=6995734&gclid=CjwKCAjwo8-SBhAlEiwAopc9W4qJ6MIFttV2TTB1Oubo8pJncWwXwxbd2up-J_76uvBuFQ2dAo3ykxoCtQUQAvD_BwE

There are different styles available.

I too am curious about how to repair these motors.  I suspect having gained access to the motor windings that there will be two bearings to replace.  If they are rollers they will be available of eBay.  If they are plain you have some machining to do.  Also check the brushes while you are there.

Looking again at your picture, the washer looks like it clamps the fan onto the shaft, not just retain the fan on the shaft.  The washers I have identified retain but do not clamp.  However they could be modified to clamp.

Reply #7
good to know about the star lock washers.
i wouldn't even have known, how they are called.

on the back side is an unmodified one, i guess.
how to remove them ?
does one simply rip them off the shaft,
or is there a more gentle way ?

the bearing is 6 mm on the inside and 11 mm on the outside.
it is 10 mm long.
the brushes are still somewhat burried,
so i don't know about their measures yet.

how can they be driven out
without harming the 1.5 mm sheet metal around ?
one could not plow in a straight line from the inside, i guess.
maybe some levering for pushing them out ?

Reply #8
Bend the tags, sometimes called teeth, with a small screwdriver.  Bend back into shape to reuse.