Skip to main content
Topic: Dilemma - which one to keep (Read 1161 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Dilemma - which one to keep

Reply #15
What's the verdict Tim?
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #16
A stay of execution for the time being.

Decided to keep both for now. Looking at options for new / nearly new cars we just couldn’t justify the cost. Either a loan, lease or pcp, whatever way you look at it, it’s a big spend.

So spent the day doing a deep clean on the mk5, inside and out, restored the headlights and wet vacced the seats and mats. Going to get the wheels re-diamond cut. So Carole has renewed love for it now.

I also bought an age related private plate for Carole, not the plate she wanted but still a good one.

So I think I can put this question to bed for another year at least, maybe two - but you never know what the future holds.

It’s also got me thinking about the mk2 and what I want to do with it long time or do I want another one.

Reply #17
What's the bodywork like on the MK5?
I read that they suffer from rust. Apparently there is some foam against the front wings which does a great job of holding crud.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #18
What's the bodywork like on the MK5?
I read that they suffer from rust. Apparently there is some foam against the front wings which does a great job of holding crud.

The guy I got it from was meticulous with his cleaning and polishing, they go on the wings at the top of the arches just the same way Mk4s do, they also go at the bottom of the rear badge as this is the boot handle and a bit of a water trap. The previous owner has had both these areas done. But he didn't replace the wings, just had the rot cut out and new metal put in as he would rather have OE wings and not disturb the panel gaps. But I can see signs of some bubbling under the paint on one side but it's no big deal to replace a wing. Apart from that it's good, with just few age related stone chips etc.

I've just updated this https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=144.msg10060#new

Reply #19
They are also quite bad behind the sill trims and the floorpans - dare i say it - worse than a mk3 it seems! Would be good to get something like Lanoguard on the chassis, floor pans, behind arch liners and using the cavity attachment force it into the inners sills