Skip to main content
Topic: Brake lines and flexis around regulator - layout Q (Read 520 times) previous topic - next topic

Brake lines and flexis around regulator - layout Q

Hi,

I can't quite remember what connects through the brackets my fingers are touching - I think the one on the regulator bracket has a flexi to the beam from the hard line as laid out. I can't remember what goes through the bracket that is welded the chassis leg?!

Thanks!

Re: Brake lines and flexis around regulator - layout Q

Reply #1
A flexible connects to the bracket and the pipe connector next to your finger.  It then connects to a solid pipe via a bracket on the axle.

Edit: I think the answer is nothing.  Bracket on chassis used for non GTi cars.

Reply #2
Excellent cheers!

Any thoughts on which end I should start from when making the brake line from regulator to engine bay? I'm going to attempt the "S" at regulator end.

Reply #3
I measured the overall length of each with string, added 15cm then cut the pipes.  I then formed the S bends and fitted the pipe along the length of the car, I put a short length of old pipe in each clip and tie wrapped the new pipe in position.  Then I made up two front pipes but only to the first clip under the car.  I marked the position of the clip on the new long pipes, removed them then copied the bends from the short front pipes.
Both new pipes were fitted complete and fully bent.  I haven't got a picture of the fitted pipes:

Reply #4
Very neat! What is that tool? My pipe bender is massive and won't make turns as sharp as that.

Reply #5
I got it on eBay.  It is one of these but search for them, mine was less than £8 delivered, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183292583546?hash=item2aad16de7a:g:5OYAAOSw5cRZGsFJ,

The clever thing is you can copy genuine pipes or work from drawings by placing the bender over the bend to be replicated and marking the position of the retaining bar.  Mark your new pipe and bend; bend replicated.  You can probably see the marks on my S bends.  Also a M10 pipe fitting goes under the retaining bar so the pipe can be flared and a bend made very close to the fitting.