Skip to main content
Topic: Indicator not working (Read 466 times) previous topic - next topic

Indicator not working

Hello all. My front left indicator does not work the rest do. The positive is permanently live so it doesn’t blink like the right hand side front does. Then it has no live at all when I put the hazards on. If I switch the ignition on and put the hazards on its back to having its permanent live and not blinking.

I’ve checked the wire behind the fuse box and it’s perm live there to and doesn’t flash. The bulb also doesn’t light up at all however if I do a wire to a separate ground and then a wire to the live coming from the loom it lights up but permanently on.

Any ideas please throw them at me because I’m lost at this point.

Many thanks       (Car is a 1984 Golf)

Re: Indicator not working

Reply #1
Just front left playing up?  Rear left is fine?

Reply #2
Just the front left rear is fine

Reply #3
Looking at the wiring diagram what you are experiencing should not be possible.  Two black white wires leave the fuse box, one to the rear flasher bulb and one to the front.  They are connected inside the fuse box and fed by a black white wire from the indicator switch. If one is live then they all three should be live.  But they are not, you have checked for that.
I think you are looking for a modification, which also would have to have a diode in it.  I'd be looking for old alarm wiring. when I had a similar problem it was a stuck relay on my alarm circuit-board but all three (1989 car) indicator bulbs were permanently live.  Failing that a fuse box fault but I can't imagine how that could be.  If you check the resistance between the front and rear lamps it should be zero.  On the RH side it will be but I'm not sure you will get the same result on the left.