Skip to main content
Topic: Eddypeck's '71 Beetle 1302S - Meet Polly (Read 818 times) previous topic - next topic

Eddypeck's '71 Beetle 1302S - Meet Polly

Copied over from the old site. Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:53 am

No longer own this but wanted to keep the journey documented.

Hey guys,  Just because I don't have a mk2 at the moment, I don't want to lose touch with this club as I think it's epic. So thanks to Damien for setting up this new section so we can share our non-mk2 vehicles and projects.

So after three and a half long years of Eleanor, the lunchbreak project http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30102 it was time to move on, to tell the truth this decision took me by surprise possibly as much as it took some of you. But the time was right and circumstances required it.

So after having it up for sale for a little while, and a failed attempt after being messed around on eBay, someone popped up a 'swap' add on the Facebook Mk2 sales page. They wanted to swap their rather tasty looking Beetle for a Mk2. Having contemplated (and dismissed) a similar swap deal that was posted previously there was something in this one that took my fancy.

This was the pic from the original post:

So after showing the wife (it wasn't an immediate no, she quite likes a Beetle) I did nothing, but every time the post was bumped it got my attention till eventually I made contact.

Turns out an unmolested 3dr GTI in white was his preferred option and he was quite keen, plus our cars were both up for sale at a similar value. After a fair few messages back and forward, and me doing some research into Beeltes, as I know nothing, and a lot of help and advice from Flat4Fantastic, it took another couple of weeks before I got the essential spouse approval. Only to find out someone had been out to see the Beetle, was very keen and was most likely going to go ahead with a purchase. So some more messages were exchanged and when this other party failed to come back we decided to go ahead and set up a meet at Stratford-on-avon train station as it was pretty much halfway between us.

So some close inspections on both parts, questions, and a test drives around the car park we exchanged keys and V5s and that was that.

My boy came with me, which was nice as he was on the original road trip to get the Golf. Oddly enough I got the Golf from Rugby and it was a local car to the area never moving far away through the few owners it had had, and now that's where she's gone back to.

So if you check out my thread for the Golf you'll see the first drive 'selfie' my boy took. So to keep with the tradition he took this, being an older and wiser teen this time he didn't want to be in the pic himself.

The other pics from the journey home was this one

Which really took me by surprise, as I was thinking we'd be doing about 50-60 tops. I did actually go a shade over what was shown on the photo, and that was GPS confirmed not just going off what the dial showed.

As you can see there is a red light on, we weren't sure what this was but it had the letter G by it so decided it meant GOOD!  :thumbs:  so we pushed on, we found out after it means Generator and when it's on that means BAD :bad craic: but it went out after a while so (hopefully) no lasting harm done.

The next surprising pictures I have to show are these:

And for anyone that's ever been out to mine to pick up parts or what have you I'm sure you'll be amazed to actually see a car in my garage! The one thing I always planned for Eleanor but never quite got round to it. The closest, being when I got it almost clear just before deciding to strip the "one-in-ten million" and filling it back up again.

So pretty much there she sat till Friday night when I brought her out for the Bristol Dub Love meet.

Thanks to FinalD for this pic, I don't know how he does it but his photos are always fantastic.

I forgot to take any myself and have't seen any more which is a shame as Mike had his Capri there too.

Where do we go from here!

Well unfortunately the car came with no history whatsoever. But thanks to someone tagging a previous owner when I popped up a picture on the Facebook group I've found out. He had it for 12 months, and had it off a friend that had had it for a couple of years previous. It was sold on to a lady, but I got it from a fella so it had changed hands again since.

But he did tell me all the work that has been done was done at Kraftwerk VW in Stoke as they were the previous owners, I've looked them up but I'm yet to contact them. But that would explain why it seems to have been done well, and why it's loaded with a few fancy and quite expensive add-ons.

The online MOT history only starts in 2005 and that starts with a rather epic fail, followed by a retest some 8 months later, so I deduct that's when the restoration happened. The following few years saw straight passes with no advisories but then there was a gap from 2008 till 2013 so she most likely sat neglected for a while. But thankfully that must have been inside or she would have been a lot worse I'm sure.

So there's plenty of TLC required and a few things I've discovered that don't work. The electrics seems to be a big issue  :eek:

but anyway, here's some more pics.... cus I know we all love pics.  :cool (y):

Thanks for the tips, there's is a strong smell of petrol and I certainly don't want and gadzook moments so I will be checking that out.

But the first quick (and cheap) win has been achieved. I noticed when checking and  topping up the oil that the cork gasket inside the cap had crumbled away to almost nothing. So a new one was ordered and last night in the dark at the back of the garage this happened. Nothing special you might think, but my very first step along the way to air cooled maintenance so it's a big deal in my book.

Re: Eddypeck's '71 Beetle 1302S - Meet Polly

Reply #1
The colour is Marathon Blue.

There was a very limited run of 'Baja Champion' special editions in this colour: http://www.sebeetles.com/champion/

Which went on to have around 6000 'Marathon' Beetles produced in 1972 to celebrate something like 15 million Beetles produced: http://www.sebeetles.com/marathon/

I'm not sure of the connection between the Baja and the Marathon other than being some kind of 'World Champion' reference, but they're quite similar and both 1302 Super Beetles.

Unfortunately mine is neither of these as it was originally orange but I can see where the inspiration came from when it was restored in 2005,  it's the right model at least although a year too early. It's already been suggested I get a set of Marathon Wheels for it, which I subsequently found some for sale cheap, but I like the Empi's so I'm not that bothered to want to create a replica.

Ironically, back in September 2014 I posted this picture on Volkzone

Asking what the colour was as I'd seen it at Berlekey Castle show and fell in love with it. I also went on to state I would like to have a Beetle project and would most likely want it in this colour. I'd forgotten all about that and hadn't been on Volkzone since, but reviving my user account after picking this up I saw my old posts. Obviously reactivated my sub-conscience when I saw it up for grabs, the colour was part of what swayed me.

I see what you mean abut the Jade Green equivalent though, it looks a lot bluer in my garage photos, but virtually silver in Rob's picture at the Dub Love Meet.

Well I'm beginning to unearth some of the devils work.

So yes, this is the fuel line bodge. A 6mm fuel hose, push fitted into an 8mm line rather than use a reducer. All nicely hidden behind the fan shroud.

At least I've detected why it stinks of fuel, should be an easy enough fix when I manage to find the unions I need.

The other main bodge, the wiring loom! This apparently is the addition of front and rear heated screens but I'm not sure if there's other stuff patched into this also. Basically I'll be looking to replace/redo the lot.

I was actually a little reluctant to show this as I'm very embarrassed by it. And I love the way it's all draped over the top of the fuel tank.

Well as it's all aftermarket I think I just need to rip it all out and start afresh, but I'm concerned that they may have taken a fresh feed from the battery and patched in some of the original equipment, bypassing the fuesbox. I'm not really sure where to start. But I don't think I'll be starting anywhere till the spare room is finished and the lounge decorated. Need to keep those brownie points topped up.

Had a few bits arrive now, some rather swanky fuel unions to handle the correct step up and two way split from a single 6mm hose from the pump to the 8mm inlet for each of the twin carbs in a single union without the need too too many joins.

Combined with some fresh hose and appropriate fuel line clips.

Also got a shiny inline fuel filter as one appears to absent and since it's visible in the bay I thought why not.

Treated myself to 100 spade terminals with covers to set me off in the right direction tidying the loom, I couldn't bare to use those blue insulated ones everywhere.

And also managed to bag the appropriate owners handbook off eBay for reasonable money.

Not that I need it, I managed to find it in PDF version online so have read it cover to cover, but thought it's a nice thing to have to stay with the car, doesn't really make up for the complete lack of history but it's a step in the right direction.

It was the similar for the Mk2, although I had a full service history and loads of documents but the one thing that was missing from the document wallet was the actual handbook. First of all I picked up an 87 one, but as mine was early the diagrams showed the wrong steering wheel and windows, etc. However keeping a keen eye on eBay I managed to get the correct one for an '86 to complete the package for not too much money. Some people ask silly money for stuff like this. Unfortunately no one's just handed me stuff like this out of the blue yet.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a 'blank' service book and a generic VW stamp just to make it look a bit more authentic and start a service history for my ownership. And of course I'll need to get some kind or period correct wallet to keep them in. But I'm wondering it that's just an obsession being taken a step too far.

thanks for the comments guys, we've got one of those label printers in work, it's pretty cool. I used it for the first time the other day and was thinking at the time this could come in hand for labeling up the loom.

The power probe certainly sounds like it could be handy, I'll look into that. I've already found wires that have been sent through the obsoluete heater ducts to god know where :bad craic: I want to strip out all of the after market stuff to start with and get it back to a bare bones basic loom with everything working how it should.

Then stuff like the heated from screen that's been added I'll rewire from scratch - much cleaner. This is going to be some learning curve for me as it's my worse subject. MOT is due in just over 40 days so I'm in two minds to start anything now and try and get it through an MOT first. I don't want to start something I can't finish and end up making a loss selling on an unfinished project with no MOT. But at least if I manage to get a ticket on it I've got a year to make good.

Reply #2
Yes MOT is Jan 3rd, which is really unhelpful as most places will be shut. In the original advert the guy said MOT till Feb so I thought I had more time to prepare. I was planning to get it in for an MOT in early December but as you say Christmas is against me, I'm currently working quite a few Saturdays and I'm sure some Christmas shopping is going to be required soon. Gutted in a way as I'd just got the Mk2 through an MOT so swapped a pretty much together car with 11 months for one with only 2 months and lots of tlc required. I don't think anything too serious is needed at least I hope not.

To compensate for the complete lack of history that came with this car, I've just managed to pick up a handbook cheap.

At least I'll have something to keep with the documentation and receipts that I'll be starting to collect. I need to find a suitable wallet now.

I've also bought 100 spade connectors with clear covers to start me off tidying the loom.

I didn't want to use the blue/red insulated ones everywhere.

And with a spare hour yesterday I managed to strip out the old ....

And glad to see the back of that bodge. I can't understand how someone can think that's good for a fuel system. Jubilee clips were lose, on some joints not fitted, and as for the stretched clear pipe with the black pipe just push fitted ... well!

Anyway that's all behind me now.

Although after posting a pic on an aircooled forum I've been advised I should have used R9 hose rather than R6. Either way it's better/safer than what was there so will do for now. At some point I'll redo it along with the full length of the car, at the moment this just deals with whats in the bay.

As for the MOT, I'm working most Saturdays leading up to Christmas. I've got my sons Birthday and a 'hangover' day allocated after the works Christmas party and at some point need to deal with Christmas shopping and getting a tree so I just don't have any time. So I've decided to let the MOT lapse, I'm not in any rush to use the car anyway so I can do a couple of the tidy up jobs properly and I'll try and get it done for late February or March time. Which will also be more helpful for following years should I wish to keep it a while otherwise I'll have the same issue this time next year too.

Thought I'd take advantage of a Black Friday Deal. £42 off this today...

Some people have advised me that this isn't the best option for my bug, but to be honest I'm finding the whole parts selection quite mind-blowing. Either way, it should be a darn sight prettier than what's currently fitted and with a full fitting kit and new gaskets also in the order I should be able to get it all in place without blowing. If I lose a bit of performance, as has been suggested - so be it, it's hardly a race car.

The R6 I bought was sold as

"UNLEADED FUEL HOSE. Suitable for unleaded petrol, leaded petrol and diesel fuels & Oils."

R7 and R9 were recommended for Fuel Injection which obviously this isn't so I kind of thought I was fine with what I got. Not sure how much I should be concerned of if this is just a few guys being over cautious. Then again as Aircooled seem to go up in smoke left right and centre I guess every precaution should be taken seriously.

I'm good for a year or two at least and I'm sure at some point I'll end up taking out the engine so I'll have a bit more room to replace and re-route.

Quote from: 8v_chris
are you trying to quieten yours down still?

Yes, that's my plan.

So I fitted this yesterday, it will still be louder than stock but looks the part and should be quieter than what I had. Now I know it's not a very accurate test but I downloaded a noise meter app. With the old exhaust I took it for a run round the block and it peaked at 96.7 decibels.

This one still went loud when I gave it some beans and peaked at 94 decibels, but it rumbles nicely on lower revs and overall it's a much nicer sound.

and certainly looks a lot better...

While I was at it I discovered this

Which obviously wouldn't have helped, but luckily I'd preempted that and bought new leads, cap, rotor and points at the same time I ordered the pipe. However I couldn't work out how to access the two rear spark plugs?

And I also hooked up the degrease gun to my compressor and squirted a load of old panel wipe around the place to clean things up a bit.

which shouldl help me detect the oil leak I seem to have as it was all quite wet around there.

After a run round the block it looks as if it could be the base of the fuel pump tower.

I'm also apparently missing the lower tinware as the tabs on these exhaust tubes should connect to something.

The previous exhaust ran closer to the block so I guess it was removed as that would have interfered, I'm told it's important to ensure the correct air flow over the cylinder heads ... I'll look into it.

I'm not quite done as the new exhaust has these outlets for a heat feed into the stock inlet manifold. As mine has been replaced with twin carb and aftermarket inlets it's not used. So I now need to blank it off as it's blowing exhaust gas into the bay. If I'd known I'd have bought the blank plates when I ordered the exhaust, now I guess I'll get stung for carriage.

Managed a little time on it yesterday in between wet coats on our newly plastered spare room, it's all about the balance you know.

So the blanking plates arrived.

As they're hidden once the tinware is back on I went for the cheaper steel ones rather than stainless. So a few coats of VHT just for good measure. I forgot to take any photos... but hey, they are what they are.

And after previously fitting the fuel filter as a convenient way to join the old cut fuel lines.

I was told elsewhere I was better off without it as it's potential fire risk. So I retrieved the bit of joining pipe I'd previously removed from the bin, only to find it wouldn't make a good seal. And the spare bit of fuel hard-line I had left over form the BMW that I thought I could use was too fat.  So I ended up keeping the inline fuel filter for now. It's not like I'm using the car this time of year so I have time to replace it. I think I'll follow the fuel line back out of the bay and try and replace it in one single run from the source. I just need a bit more investigation as it disappears out behind the inlet manifold so I don't know how easy it's going to be to replace with the engine in.

It's been suggested to either put the filter by the gearbox, the other side of the fire wall or at the front of the car under the fuel tank. I'm yet to focus on the front end as that's where all that hideous wiring is.

The other thing I did was a little thing that's been annoying me since I got it:

I can't stand seeing 'chocolate block' electrical connectors on cars, and this was used to join the number plate bulb. Rather than join it I thought I'd stick with a plug as that would make it useful if I ever need to remove the engine lid. And I had a couple of these left as I'd bought them for a little job previously.

I think I'd have rather something that looked a bit more OEM, but it's a lot better at least. I've got some spare Golf looms, so maybe there's two parts of a VW plug I can splice in at a later date. But pretty low priority.

And as recommended by flat4fanatic I also blocked off the air vents under the rear bench as the heating system is obsolete and these contribute to the in cabin engine noise.

Reply #3
Another thing I did, was get some pictures of the Lucas spot lights. As I noticed they don't match.

I've been looking on eBay to find a matching pair to replace these but have discovered that a lot of 'pairs' like this are non-matching anyway. I mean they match design, but it appears you get one fog and one spot so the glass is different. Although I have two totally different designs.

So I've got these for reference now so I can keep an eye out to either match one or the other if I can't find a decent pair.

Although I did find some pictures of in on Facebook from when it was for sale previously by another owner. It didn't have the spots then or the little headlight brows (which I'm intending to remove) so I'm not sure if I like it better with or without the spots.

I'd happily remove the spotlights and sell them on, but the way they've been fitted I'd be left with holes in the bumper. So I guess it depends if I can find a decent bumper for less than the cost of a pair of matching lights.

Got round to removing the eyebrows as I'm not a fan.

I'm much happier with that.

Also thought it was time to get this nasty sticker off the glove box

so ...

I know by some build threads this is all a little insignificant, but it's these little 10 min tidy up jobs that keep the project ticking over for me. :)

Quote from: Monkey
Also, it's a change you'll probably notice every time you drive it.

Yes quite, you know how those little things nag you. I started to take a toothbrush to the little vents and crevices in the dash too, 45 years of grime! but I quickly discovered that's going to be a bit of a bigger job. On the whole nothing serious needed just lots of care and attention. I'm in half a mind to drive it down to Plymouth and leave it with Damien for a few months, he'd be in his element. Afterall I gather he knows his way around a Por.... Beetle already.

I also managed to find a reasonably priced pair of matching Lucas spotlights just before Christmas so at some point I'll swap them over and sell of the other ones individually. Hopefully I'll recover my costs.

Not much of an update. I haven't done anything to the car yet, other than a bit of spending in preparation.

I picked up the lower tinware that was missing. I wouldn't have gone for chrome by choice but it was cheap off eBay.

I also managed to bag myself this cool centre console

That I'm really happy with, I've been looking for a while at something and considered making one or modifying an old Golf one. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can check it out properly. Hopefully it's a good fit and I can do away with the shopping basket.

Also sold off a few of the accessories that came with it that weren't to my liking. I'm keeping a careful eye on the running total and trying not to get too carried away. Hopefully it will go through the MOT without too much cost, if so I might have to treat myself to a new steering wheel  :cool:

Reply #4
I took this shot the other night on my phone when I popped out to the garage.

It's nothing special, and I'm by no means a photographer but I played around with the crop and some filters and I just love it.

Anyway another tiny update, but it's the little things that make me happy.

I'm so excited to receive this set of stainless bolts in the post today so fitting those lower covers can be done now, and replacing the rest of the bolts for a bit of a general spruce up.

Going to talk to a guy tomorrow about getting the MOT booked in soon.

Still not had that centre console arrive yet though.

I decided ahead of fitting the tin bits that arrived that I would paint the inside of the chrome tins with VHT paint, left over from when I coated the new J-tubes. So I taped up the edges to protect from over spray.

Some etch primer first to take to the chrome, and then a few liberal coats - basically using up what I had left.

and once dried left me with this:

My OCD is much happier now they are a matching pair, even if they aren't in as good condition of the one I took off. Hopefully I'll more than cover my cost by selling off the odd ones.

You may notice, I need to get a new number plate as the black insert has separated from the back plate. I think when I get a new one I'll mount it under the bumper so I can keep it straight rather than have to follow the curve like this one.

And with the new centre console arrived, and also some stainless sill covers I bought I thought I'd do some before and after pics. Both items as just sitting in place for the benefit of the photos for now, but I'm happy with the change.

But still not much happening, I was planning to get her in for the MOT in a couple of weeks, but that may be delayed now as there's more work required.

As I think she's suffering from neglect.

Just sitting in the garage waiting for me to get my act together she started to demand some attention.

The Beetle hasn't been used for a couple of months, has only been started and moved in and out the garage a few times. The last time was probably about two or three weeks ago.

Suddenly there's a strong smell of what at first seemed like a solvent smell, strong enough it's noticeable inside the house, the garage is adjoining.

I've gone to the garage and it's actually petrol, and obviously from the car.

On first inspection nothing obvious, but pushing (not starting) her back a bit I discovered this:

She's spilled her load all over the garage floor in true comedy Herbie style, thank fully the tank only had a couple of litres left in it when she was put away.

So looking around up under the front wheel arch I discovered the hose into the hardline from the fuel tank has given up.

I'd already done the fuel pipe in the bay area as you'll see from my earlier posts and I fully intended to work my way from back to front addressing the whole lot, so now she's making sure I pull my finger out and do it properly.

I'm glad I discovered this at home rather than out on the road which would have no doubt resulted in a least a break down, and worse a fireball!!

So tank out job, which I always knew was on the cards really, and I'll be able to give the front loading bay a bit of attention while I'm at it.

Yes, those are the kind of plates I imagine it would have come on from new, my first car from 1977 had these, the W kept coming off!

But I like the the monotone of black and silver, I think they suit the cars colouring, the car is old enough to legally use them and they can't be read by ANPR cameras, not that I have anything to hide, but hey you know what they say...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5fts7bj-so[/youtube]

On a side note, I discovered I can't move the Porsche seats forward without hitting the centre console. Not a big problem in the normal position but as the battery is under the rear seat I had to get access to it to disconnect the power before I started playing with the fuel tank. Especially considering how many random live wires are just hanging out in the vicinity!

I lifted the fuel tank this week, the tank is in good order, I suspect it's been replaced at some point in the past. It looks like it's been nicely painted for some extra rust protection on the underside and the body is in very good condition. I'd discovered a lot of the original Orange paint :shock: I know my wife would preferred it if it was still in the original shade, but I have no plans to return it to factory condition. So I have good access to everything I need, have had a good look round and worked out everything I need to replace.

A big parts order was placed this week with Machine7 so hopefully if it turns up today I'll have some progress on the fuel situation over the weekend (what is it with me and fuel systems?). I'm basically replacing everything!

Then I can get back on track with the MOT in the next few weeks hopefully.

Edit: arrival  :thumbs:

Reply #5
Tank out, revealing the nice original orange:

Ignore the wiring, lots still to sort out before she's back on the road.

I removed the old hose, and cut back the hardline a bit as it had a nasty kink in it.

I managed to get a more gentle curve in the line now, so not the 'right angled' failure point that was there before.

Before and after of the filler neck:

Also made maybe a controversial decision to tidy up in here...

Fuel tank itself was in good order, so fitted a new foam seal I got from Machine7. It was too small so I thought maybe it wasn't suitable for a super - I didn't think about that when I ordered it. But being foam it stretched to fit. So now the tank isn't metal on metal like it was before.

And finally all back together, with new seals and joints.

Next job the back end to do, from the end of the tunnel to the fuel pump. I've done the pump to the carbs already.

Then this mess of wires to address.

One thing that's annoyed me is the black layer of the (I presume cheapo) number plate has pealed back...

I've been looking at replacements but as a quick fix I came up with the following solution.

Which was rip off the rest of the black layer:

Mask and cut the outlines:

Prime, paint black, and finally after removing the mask I decided to clear lacquer the whole thing.

I think the peeling issue is because the plate has been curved around the bumper, I'm planning to make up some little L brackets and mount it below so it can stay straight. Once I've done that it won't be an issue if I have to go with the same kind again.

So, the other update.

I've removed that nest of wiring that belonged to the heated front and rear screen.

I'll get my head round it and replace it with something a lot neater. Luckily the whole lot was pretty much stand along to the main loom. I tidied up a few other bad wiring links and crimped on a few fresh spade connectors. Still room for improvement, and I still need to take the radio off Permanent live but I can do that later on.

Priority, was to get the tank filled back up

Grab the co-pilot

and check it in for the MOT

Fingers crossed, I'm waiting on a call later today.

Has it passed?

unfortunately not, Reason(s) for failure:

Rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle (3.7.B.5b)
Offside Rear Inner Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings wheel arch x2 patches (marked) (6.1.B.2)
Offside Front Headlamp aim too low (1.8)
Offside Front Headlamp not working on main beam (1.7.5a)
Nearside Front Inner Track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.2.B.1f)

The track rod was advisory on previous MOT so I expected that, not sure about the main beam I checked the light before I took it in as that's the basics. Then again could be a bad earth, you've seen the wiring. The welding however is a bit of a pain. I was aware of some 'thin' spots but hoping it would be OK, but it seems the very thick underseal was hiding a few secret nasties so once he'd found some issues he wanted to be sure so dug it bit deeper.

Not ideal, but not the end of the world either, and I'd rather know it was done, done right and safe. I'll be driving it soon.

Reply #6
Just checked out the weather:

Hopefully picking the car up Saturday, and looking forward to putting some mile on it over the following week all being well.

I decided even though I have a welder, have some basic skills and need to practice and learn, on this occasion I'm just going to pay bill and get it done so I can move on. I have a busy time ahead so if I didn't the take this action it could be months before the car is road worthy.

Reply #7
OMG, So I've just taken a call, that I was thinking would be to say it was all done. However the call was actually to say...

[size=150]THEY SET FIRE TO IT![/size]

They got it under control, but not before the rear bench went up, taking with it the parcel shelf, speakers and smoke damaged the rest of the interior and blistered the paint on the roof.

I don't believe it, the main job I've been doing since I've got it has been around the fuel system to try and prevent a fire - oh the irony  :frustration:

Not enough to write it off, they called their insurance and was asked if it was MOTed, which obviously it isn't as that's the work they're doing which instantly devalues the car by half apparently! Worth noting if any of you have a car in storage and let the MOT expire.

I'm going to call in on the weekend and take a look, they've said they'll sort it all at their expense obviously, so the silver lining it's going to get a new interior and some paintwork done. I'm still shaking from the shock.  :shock: So I won't be driving it next week after all.

Welcome to my horror story

There's a picture about half way down of a small patch they were welding in at the bottom corner of the wing. I gather some soundproofing went up and quickly took hold, spreading to the seat and headlining.

Quote from: jetpacjimmy
Jesus. How are you feeling about it?

Let's just say pretty pee'ed off. Glad it didn't happen with me doing it, which I suppose was possible had I tackled the same area myself. However being a more paranoid I would have removed everything first. Had I done it myself I'd be gutted and would have no come back, at least they're saying they'll sort it. So it could work out for the best. I get a brand new interior and some fresh paint!

But then again, as you know I've had people promise me they'd do a certain job at a certain quality and had them fail to deliver in the past.

It's true what they say, can't trust anyone and if you want something done right, do it yourself. This is exactly why I invested in a welder as a said I'd never trust anyone again.... but when it came down to it, the quote was reasonable, they had the car and I just thought it was easier to say

"yeah crack on, get it MOTed and I'll pick it up Saturday!"

Maybe I'll learn form this, and I really will never ever trust anyone with one of my cars again.

And it's not just cars! I'm sitting here in work right now in pretty much exactly the same situation, been let down by colleagues with sub standard work that I'm not putting right myself so I can make my customer happy. Just can't get the staff!

I've been convinced this car was going to burst into flames all along, hearing so many aircooled horror stories, which is why I've just replaced all the fuel pipes and been working on the wiring. I wasn't expecting someone else to set light to it for me.

They're getting the whole roof painted, right down the A pillar and back to the deck lid, and using the gutters as the edge so they've got natural stop points. I've asked for a quote to do a bit extra to include the deck lid as I think with fresh paint it will flow better and blend in more, there's also a little ding that can be sorted out. It would be nice to do the whole thing but there's the odd imperfection here and there and it's a case of where do you draw the line.

The bodywork is going to be done by Cromhall Refinishing which are next door and I had a good walk round the car and chat with the owner yesterday. They do classic car restoration, and the guy owns a camper himself, even though he's not personally keen on Beetles he should be OK to do the job. Apparently the garage are doing the mechanics on a classic mini he's resorting so they're trading favors on this one. He has said it will be 3 weeks before he can get it in for paint though, and we know how 3 weeks in a paint shop can easily be 3 months.

He said he'll do a swatch test next week and check the colour match and if need be he can mix off the existing paint rather than just the colour code.

As for the interior they've already placed the order with Heritage which should be delivered next week which will replace everything that's damaged, headlining, rear carpets, rear seat covers and horsehair padding (I gather they'll reuse the frames), parcel shelf, speakers, and sun-visors etc. Total is about £1500 and that's trade price.

The front seats survived, just smoke damage thankfully, as I'm not sure they'd have liked the cost of replacing a pair of leather Porsche tombstones seats.

So the clean up and refit should start by the tail end of next week, they then promised they'll get their detailer in to give it a thorough deep clean to remove and smoke damage and hopefully get rid of the smell.

So I'm looking at a month minimum, but you know how these things go. The idea was to use it for the next few months have some fun and pop it up for sale at Volksfest. I'm losing confidence in that plan, and if it's not back by Volksfest I miss a massive opportunity.

Reply #8
Feeling a bit better today, been back to take another look and go all over the car with one of their guys, got reassurances about what they're doing and replacing. The in house dub guy has got my back and isn't going to let them cut corners. They're going to remove the rear wing and redo the patch that joins the wing to the body so that's no longer an issue and I'm going to get an agreement in writing next week and will be checking up regularly. They've got me email address and said they'll send pictures of each stage.

Headlining is here and boxes of parts at the ready. The upholsterer is taking away the bench and new parcel shelf for trimming then coming back once it's painted to fit the headlining.

So progress is happening, just waiting on paint now but it's going to be a couple of weeks till he can fit it in. So there's a slim chance I'll have it for the end of the month, which means I'll make the May 5th local VW meet, but my main focus is Bristol Volksfest in June.

So with the car still away and not a lot I can do I thought I'd tackle the heated screen issue and that nest of wires I removed. Starting with the bundle

I stripped out the bits I needed to save, which was pretty much just a couple of relays and some fuses

Cup of tea, printed diagram off the internet, some tools and an old loom salvaged from a scrap Polo for a donor I was ready to start again

Auto electronics has always been my worst subject, to the point where I generally avoid it. So I have to say the end result I am really pleased with.

All ready to connect back up when I get the car back. The switches were in the dash, although I might replace them as I'm also going to see about connecting up the front spot lights so have been looking into switch panels and nicer buttons.

As for the rest of the donor loom, all neatly saved for future adventures

I also called in to check on the progress over the weekend. I was pleased to see it moving along at a steady enough pace. The inside has all been cleaned up and painted and the car is hopefully going to take it's slot in the bodyshop later this week.

I went through the boxes and checked out all the new parts. I was pleased to see they've selected all good quality replacement parts so it has the potential to be  really well finished when it's done. Better than how it went in. I can't wait.

Went to see it today and was pleased to see it wasn't there.

It's in the body shop next door now. Had a look, Glass is out, roof in primer, there's a strong possibility I might have it back sometime next week, which would be great.

Go a bit more to update as I picked up a scruffy old replacement rear bumper cheap - was straight just dirty so has cleaned up great and bonus I found the vw stamp so it's genuine too. These usually go for a small fortune. I paid £15, gutted the front was dented or I would have taken the pair.

It was supposed to have gone in for paint on Friday but I went up Saturday to take a look but was too late, they'd shut the body shop and the guy in the garage wasn't sure if it had been done or not. Either way should be done in the next few days so hopefully back with me soon. Can't wait.

Tue May 09, 2017 11:09 am

So the car is still waiting on paint. I was told it would be painted early last week, which when I called last Thursday to see if it was done was told no but would be on Friday. I didn't get chance to check on the weekend but I popped in this morning and it's still not painted. The guide coat is on ready for flatting and top coat, but it's not in the booth yet so I don't know when that might happen.

To be fair the bodyshop is booked about 3 months in advance and they're doing the garage next door that caused the problem a favour by even fitting me in, so I just need to wait for a Beetle sized slot.

So close, but it's so frustrating. Hopefully I can get it very soon. I'm desperate to start using it. I would have been using it regular over the last 5 weeks or so had this not happened and would have potentially put over a 1000 miles on it already.

I have only driven it a few times since getting it last October.

Just waiting on the call now, could be anytime....

Meanwhile, I picked up a replacement rear bumper as I hoped it would eb better than mine, it was local and cheap so I couldn't say no.

A tad scruffy so the plan to remove the brackets, clean up, rust treat and paint the inside. Great plan so far, till the first hurdle, two of the coach bolts were spinning.

So posted for tips on facebook and I'm glad I did, as sometimes it's easy to overlook the obvious. Along with all the suggestions or angle griders, drills etc was the simple idea to use mole grips.

And I did, there was just enough to get a hold of the bolt and start the nut off. Luckily they weren't rusted. So a few moments later this:

Now the issue, I have two of the holes that are oversize and no longer square.

So I've ordered some stainless flange headed allen bolts, although the ones that were sent out didn't have the flange so waiting on replacement.

The plus side, without out any kind of special products the initial first wipe with a damp cloth suggests it's going to clean up very well:

and it's genuine VW, not an aftermarket part.

So I cleaned up the inside with a wire wheel drill attachment, rust treated, primed and painted it. And spruced up the brackets too. Although I'll see when I get it back what state the currently fitted brackets are in and decide then which ones I use.

So either way, it's its not quite ready when the say with a couple days grace it should at least be ready by the weekend.

Finally picked it up, all sorted and with a fresh MOT.... although as you might expect not without issues :confused:

First thing I noticed was the G (generator/alternator) light was on, permanently... even with the key out.

It went out with the ignition on and started up OK so I drove round to get some fuel before heading home about a half a mile.

After filling up the car then wouldn't start. So walked back the garage... about 50 yards from the fuel station and they got me sorted with a jump pack.

So got the car home to investigate further.

1st discovery, I have an alternator not a Dynamo as I originally though. :lol: (Sorry to anyone I confused on my Facebook post)

I've checked all the wiring, replaced a few ropy looking spade terminals and done away with any Chocolate blocks connectors I found.

I also discovered the fuse in the stereo was fried.

Anyway, still no joy on this one. But I've got a mate coming over to test the alternator tonight, and if need be help me fit a replacement later in the week once I've got my hands on one.

So for now, here's how it came out....

And inside:

I later discovered the seat wasn't back all the way and the shelf wasn't sitting right. I've sorted that now so it's more angled so sits just under the window.

Although the door cards were undamaged as the rears were replaced and they came as a set I got new front ones too, and without the pockets which I much prefer.

The front seats could still do with a bit more of a clean up, and the drivers and passenger side have been swapped which is great as it will even out the 'weathering' of the leather.

So, with not a lot else I could do I cracked on with a couple other jobs.

Before:

After:

Fitted the replacement rear bumper. I decided to keep the original brackets as they looked a bit better.

Swapped the CSP quick shifter ...

... with an EMPI husrt one as I wasn't keen on the other one.

And tidied up the dash a little by fitting the radio surround

I also fitted the step/sill cover trims, but forgot to take a photo.

Still lots of little jobs still to do but I'll update with the electrical issues when I know more.

Reply #9
Not without it's issues .... but still managed to head out for a drive between showers over the Bank Holiday.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:34 am

Polly made it to her first show with me, Bristol Volksfest she was parked up with the Mk2 Owners Club obviously :lol: cuz that's how I roll.

And finally my lovely wife that got the joy of driving it home as I had to tow the caravan with her Honda, but I did get to watch it int he mirror the whole way. It's great being able to see your car driving :)

Really happy with how she gleamed when the sun came out, even if I did have to re-polish the chrome after every rain shower.

And yes you may notice, after all I've been through she's now up for sale. Much as I do love this funny little car, and have really enjoyed the time in it I have a financial situation to sort out, then hopefully not too long afterwards I'll find myself with another mk2 Golf in my life.