Skip to main content
Topic: Can I have bigger tyres or should I stick to same size?  (Read 562 times) previous topic - next topic

Can I have bigger tyres or should I stick to same size?

Hello - are any fellow Mk2 Golf owners able to help?
I have a 5 door 1990 mk2 golf with 7.5j x 15 et25 wheels.

I will be fitting Eibach pro lowering springs and Bilstien B4 shocks which will lower the car by around 20/40mm.

I am looking to replace my tyres (currently 195/45R15).

I was looking to find out if anyone else has the same set up and what tyres they might be riding? Be good to find out if I can go much bigger - I just want to ensure they wont rub when I fit the springs.

Thanks

Re: Can I have bigger tyres or should I stick to same size?

Reply #1
Hi, I've got that exact setup on my red one.
They're only 6j wheels, but I'm running 195/50/15s with no fouling at all.
Untitled by Dave Ackerman, on Flickr
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
Hey

Thanks for replying - that's really helpful. Your tyres look like a great fit. Would difference would I see with my wheels being 7.5j instead of 6j?

Also how much of a drop did you notice from the Eibacj pros?

Thanks for the help

Reply #3
You might have issues with 195/50, I had ATS cups on mine 7x15 ET20 195/50/15 so similar, although you are 5mm more in the arch on the ET you have an extra half inch width so from centre out about 6.25mm so puts you around the same offset, I rubbed ever so slightly over crests when the rear came down, front was fine and it was only a small amount on the rear, i'd keep the 45's on for now and see how it goes

Reply #4
Hi,
That's helpful to know. Were you on the eibach springs as well?
 I am driving a 5 door - I wondered if that meant the car would end up being slightly lower.

Reply #5
No I was on new stock shocks and springs, boge, the rear as standard is quite soft, you may be ok with stiffer springs as it may not bounce so much but it will be tight, tyre to arch.

Reply #6
Thanks!

Given that Monkey was on similar shocks/springs set up then hopefully I will manage with the bigger tyres. I'm on the 195/45 at the moment so guess I could lower the car 1st and see what I think. Only issues is my front tyres are quite worn down and I'd worry about getting points if I was driving it about