Skip to main content
Topic: Pearl Grey with R32 power, Digifiz mini install update (Read 3621 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pearl Grey with R32 power, Digifiz mini install update

Reply #15
They look really good.

I totally feel your pain on the lack of space at the front of the car.
Ran into the exact same issues when I wired up my VDO gauges, though I as sorely tempted by the Digifiz ones.
How do they perform, do they react quick enough?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #16
They look really good.

I totally feel your pain on the lack of space at the front of the car.
Ran into the exact same issues when I wired up my VDO gauges, though I as sorely tempted by the Digifiz ones.
How do they perform, do they react quick enough?

Yeah they seem to react quick. When I have my audio really giving it some, the battery gauge turns into a graphic equaliser   :))

Oil pressure reacts very quick with rpm

Reply #17
That's good, I did hear that the duostyling ones were slow to react and it put me off a little.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #18
After driving my Wife’s car, I decided I need an Alcantara steering wheel in my life. My Momo wheel I’ve owned for like 20 years and love the feel of it so decided to get it updated. Leather came off (ooh kinky) and on went some Alcantara with red motorsporty type middle band and BMW M style stitching in red. Came out rather nice and feels great.

Something I’ve been itching to put on the car are a brand new set of KW V3’s.

Originally V2’s were on my list as that would have been more than good enough for what I use the car for but these came up at a good price so had to have them. The FK Konigsport have been reliable over the years and handle great but the ride is quite harsh, even on the softest setting.

Straight out the box the KW look amazing. No need to worry about spring platforms seizing up on these. KW recommended I fit their performance front springs to help with the extra weight of the V6 so these were also purchased.

Fitting was pretty standard really. Started with the rear…

Reply #19
Bit of lube ensures no hurt

New Lemforder top mounts

I knew it wouldn’t be too long until I hit a problem. This one came in the form of my nuts, they’re too big – that’s what she said
FK use a larger half height nut compared to OEM, which is what KW use. No bother, quick trip to a local hardware store to get some new ones.

At the same time, the nasty looking turret liner was swapped for early type carpet. Now I won’t get a rash when I rub my cheeks against them

Shelf support nuts were swapped for MK3/4 items. Being deeper, they’re easier to get on and off than the standard tin type and look much nicer.

Reply #20
Moving onto the front. Again, nothing special here, standard swap out of the shock assembly with new Lemforder MK3 top mounts, bearings, MK3 top mount retaining nut and MK3 top cup.

I didn’t bother marking any of the alignment as the car would go in for full geometry.

This may or may not be exciting you but I managed to get hold of some tasty treats. The first one came in the form of a Pollen filter. This isn’t a homemade or retro solution but a Chinese (no bats included) market filter designed for the MK2. It came in two pieces ..
Lower cover Pollen filter, part number if you’re interested

Pollen filter, part number if you’re interested

Looks much larger than the original so let’s see how the scuttle cover fits

Pollen filter in place

Reply #21
Tasty treat number 2 is a one piece full scuttle cover with an OEM style profile sent from Russia with love. It was the last piece he had so got lucky. Other companies like SWG make a similar one piece cover but it’s smooth with no OEM style recess. The VIN number is covered but that’s ok until Mr MOT inspector takes a look
Fitting was spot on and didn’t interfere with the pollen filter.

Getting the ride height correct was a bit of a pain. Lots of driving (not a bad thing), measuring and adjusting each corner! Measuring and adjusting each cover, Measuring and adjusting each cover

Once I was happy with each corner it was time for tracking. Front camber set to -1.5. Originally it was -1 and I didn’t notice any uneven wear so went a bit further this time.

While under the car I noticed the roll bar bushes looked a bit sad so decided to change these for some power flex heritage items.

Easy job I thought but getting the old bushes and link off the roll bar was near impossible! Lot’s tugging, heating, screwdrivering, bladeing lubeing, and swearing later … they decided to come off.

New roll bar bushes are a much harder material than what came off so getting the bush into the link was going to be a challenge. First I opted for squishing in a G clamp but as I suspected, it was going to fight me all the way and bush kept jumping out under load. For once, lube doesn’t help here.

Reply #22
Brute force and dreams weren’t going to help here so used my superior intellect and ingenuity to create a …. well, something that worked……..

Hole cut slightly larger than the bush and made a keyway for the link to sit flat inside

Wood was cut where I made the hole for easy extraction of the link

G clamped the two halfs together

Again with the lube

Put the bush in place

Cut up a metal disc to sit between the clamp and bush

Tightened the G clamp all the way down until the bush was in place. Success !

Reply #23
Getting the new bush over the roll bar was seriously difficult! I double checked the box was for an eibach 22mm bar which it was but ended up cutting a small chamfer in the edge of the bush to at least get it in place then bashed it on

What I was aiming to get the car ready for was a long weekend in Snowdonia. Wales is one of my favourite places in the UK, such natural beauty and not far away. The climb up and down Mount Snowdon was also a great achievement 

The suspension is great, haven’t really had time to open it up but the kit got a good test in Wales. On the standard mid setting, the KW’s feel softer than the softest setting on the old FK’s. The KW’s handle bump much better while keeping wheel travel to a minimum. I also found I’m not correcting the steering much when on slightly bumpy roads.

Thanks for reading. Next up is fitting a Fabless cross bar 😉

Reply #24
That scuttle is lovely, I like the idea of a full width one but don't rate the flat bits of plastic that other companies seem to offer, not for how much they ask for them as well. The OE style profile looks the business. I have wondered about the VIN for an MOT though with these fitted, I guess it's no big deal they just won't check. I've also wondered the same when people do a smooth bay and cut away the scuttle area completely. 

Reply #25
Excellent update!

I'm very jealous of the V3s! If you don't mind, how much did you pay for the performance springs?
I've got a set of V1s and can always use a little improvement.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #26
Excellent update!

I'm very jealous of the V3s! If you don't mind, how much did you pay for the performance springs?
I've got a set of V1s and can always use a little improvement.

KW performance springs directly from KW are £65 part number 60110047. They probably have other spring rates, I emailed them directly with my setup and they recommended these rates.

Reply #27
Thanks Dalj
I'm pretty sure my setup is nigh on identical to yours, (with the exception of V1s vs V3s).
Was it just the front springs you changed or the whole set?

Cheers
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #28
Thanks Dalj
I'm pretty sure my setup is nigh on identical to yours, (with the exception of V1s vs V3s).
Was it just the front springs you changed or the whole set?

Cheers

it was just the main front springs they recommended to change

Reply #29
Thanks, I've emailed them now, I'm going to send them my spring id and they'll recommend from there.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v