Skip to main content
Topic: Carburettor Issue on 1.3? (Read 263 times) previous topic - next topic

Carburettor Issue on 1.3?

Hi guys,

Having a problem with my 1.3. It started running rough a couple of weeks ago, I managed to limp it home to try and diagnose it. It was misfiring, accompanied by a strong smell of fuel, and would not idle without some pressure on the throttle, and then wouldn’t start at all.

I suspected spark plugs, which I took out and replaced (turned out these had never been changed and definitely needed attention!). In the process I noticed one of the ignition cables was corroded, so I’ve replaced all the ignition cables too, as well as cleaning the contacts in the distributer. After this, the car did start, but only for around 10 seconds then choked out. I noticed that the carb was slightly flooded with fuel once I had turned it over.

I then noticed the rubber baseplate for the carburettor was split so I have fitted a new one. However, same problem. Runs for 10 seconds then chokes out. Carb flooded.

Thinking it’s a stuck float in the carb, but very open to any advice and suggestions! Been a stubborn fix this one.

Many thanks in advance!
Max