D
[ 0 ] (0%)
Something else
[ 2 ] (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Topic: Brake bleed kits (Read 1091 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Brake bleed kits

Reply #15
I have used A, B and C before A was a complete waste of time B and C were just as bad. From years of experience my top 3 (not in order)...

Pressure bleed
Good old fashioned pedal pumping
And believe it or not....

Gravity bleeding.

My best results have come from gravity bleeding, brim the reservoir pump the pedal a few times before bleeding a corner put your pipe on the nipple pipe in bottle of fluid crack the nipple walk away for 10 mins.

This method i still to this day prefer as much as it is frowned on.
Long term project owner.
Supercar technician.
Family man.
@project_golf_mk2 Instagram

Reply #16
Still got the car in bits so it might be new year before I get chance to try it out, but here it is.

It feels like this is massively overkill for the task in hand, but I'm hoping it'll be one of those moments when I ask how did I ever manage without one before.

Well since @benjibooji has taken the trouble to add a new reply I thought I'd give an update.

For some background, I've completely overhauled my brake system and in doing so I've used this thing 3 times now.

The first attempt went shockingly bad, it's also worth noting this is a Chinese copy of the Sealey product. The Sealey ones seem to be around £60-70, I paid just over £30 for this. So maybe if I'd spent the extra I wouldn't have experienced these issues.

Anyway, I struggled to get the cap to seal, so once pressure built up the cap would give out and hiss fluid. I couldn't tighten the cap further without if slipping the thread.

I returned a few days later having pondered the issues, so on a second attempt I slipped the rubber seal out of the cap on the car and added it to the cap for the bleeder. With the seal in the cap doubled up I was able to seal and tighten the cap with no issues.

So after a complete bleed and test I still wasn't 100% sure the brakes were the best they could be, hard to tell as it's a new built system with new discs and pads and I appreciate it needs to bed in, but prior to the MOT I had a 3rd attempt a week later to do a final bleed and get out any last air, which after waiting, I'd hoped may had found it's way through the system.

Even doubling up the seal now I had issues with the seal, but I was able to tighten and just about got away with it. I was mindful not to apply too much pressure, which probably slowed the bleed. I did get some more air out and things seem better now but I have to say, this wasn't the life changing experience I'd hoped for.

Thankfully as it's a copy of the sealy one and uses standard fittings I'm fairly sure I'd be able to use Sealey spare for it, so if I needed to I could get a Sealey cap which might be better. For next time I think I'm just going to try and get a few spare rubber seals.

Reply #17
Yeah, I've got the Sealey kit, I've never had a problem with the seal on the top.

Though I've never pushed it past 8psi, you don't need any more.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v