Skip to main content
Topic: Selling advice (Read 506 times) previous topic - next topic

Selling advice

Hi all, well sad times indeed when you're forced to say farewell to your beloved 1986 8v GTI. Personal circumstance, loss of storage (ok the house also but more gutted about the garage!!! :)) He's just been MOT'd, new battery and still sitting a fraction under 90K on the clock. All original and pretty mint bodywork. Couple of issues, roof liner has started to sag a little (I may replace prior to sale) and although the front windscreen washers passed the MOT they are intermittent so possibly a wiring / earth issue.

I never thought I'd actually sell but here we are. Looking for advice on where and how to go about advertising? I've looked online but there's huge variety on sale. Should I get a valuation of sorts somewhere? Any / all help appreciated.

Re: Selling advice

Reply #1
It’s probably the worst time to sell. This time of year most people aren’t looking for what is essentially a summer toy. That said I’m not most people and see this as an ideal time to buy and get a bargain. I bought my current one 3 years ago today. So you may find a buyer but you’ll take a hit on price.

Also with rising costs, inflation, energy crisis etc, many people might be hanging onto their cash to see what the next few months brings.

Car and classic is probably the best place, free to list and you get more serious kind of buyer.

EBay can work out quite expensive and you get time
Wasters bidding cuz their bored after a few beers.

And of course get details on here, you never know someone might be after another.

Best of luck, and sorry to hear

Reply #2
Sad to hear. 

National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #3
Thanks Guys, can't be helped but taken on board Eddypecks advice and managed to secure free storage for a few months which will also hopefully allow me to deal with the roof liner prior to sale. Thanks again and will let you know how it goes!!

Reply #4
Sad to hear, hope your circumstances improve before you have to sell the car (did i read right that the house is lost too). If you do sell do try and solve the headliner if the car is otherwise a nice example, would be a shame to get knocked back for a minor issue. You can get replacements on ebay for semi reasonable money depending on circumstances.