Skip to main content
Topic: Returning Owner - 1.3 Base (Read 525 times) previous topic - next topic

Returning Owner - 1.3 Base

Hi All,

Returning MK2 owner here. I am fairly sure I used to have an account back when I got my first MK2, shortly before passing my test (2009/2010) - I even posted a couple of years ago trying to track that car down after I had to sell it in 2014, but it looks like the forum has had a refresh and tidy since then!

However - browsing eBay by chance over New Year, and saw a familiar numberplate... not often you get chance to buy back an old friend, even if it was in much worse condition.

Back in its heyday when I sold it:

3 door base model, I always wrongly assumed Calypso Green but have realised its actually probably Frost Blue Metallic, as its always come up as blue on the V5.
Needs plenty of fettling, missing all the good parts I sold it with, and first port of call to strip it and check the shell out. I wasnt planning on adding this to the fleet, so it'll be sitting in storage for some time while I slowly do bits here and there.

Re: Returning Owner - 1.6 Driver

Reply #1
Welcome back and good luck with the restoration.

Reply #2
Hi and welcome back

Yes we had to have a revamp.  It will be great to see her back to her former glory :)
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #3
Congrats on the reunion, it's already looking better. Will you drive it much?

Reply #4
Welcome back!
Look forward to seeing it returned to its former glory!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Re: Returning Owner - 1.3 Base

Reply #6
Thanks for the welcome, all.

This actually seems to be running OK. In the 8 years since I sold it, it had some serious MOT gaps (and fails!) so I didnt really expect to see it advertised as a running project with an MOT.

The engine itself has had a new Weber carb but is running quite badly, few vacuum leaks to fix, but its had a new-ish clutch and recent suspension work, so I hope to get the brakes checked over and get it driveable soon.