Skip to main content
Topic: Need help with electrics on my 1.3 1990 (Read 326 times) previous topic - next topic

Need help with electrics on my 1.3 1990

Hi all,

Im trying to get my electrics working on my mk2, there is a build thread in the members ride section which might be useful as the car has been a major project and was full of water for a long time...

So the car now runs however it didnt have any electrics working. I am not good with electrics at all and not sure what should work and what shouldnt work with or without fuses etc....

So When the car first started running we ran it up so the fan cuts in, so that works... not sure if thats connected to any fuses or anything lol
Also the handbrake light works.. that was it.

I decided to change the fuse box so i sourced a second hand one and a load of relays. I put all new blade fuses in and I have put in the relays I think it should have although im not 100% if its right as im very much a novice at this... i looked on the CE2 webpage thing so hopefully i worked it out.
Not sure what the red circled thing is for but someone suggested rear fog light?

328308285_751780616369318_1559996124193662043_n by Michelle Hodder, on Flickr

i also changed all the bulbs in the rear lights as these were all corroded.

So since changing the fuse box this is what I have working

Passenger Side                                                     Driver Side

headlight                                                              (this headlight bulb might need changing, ive not checked it yet)
full beam                                                                        X
         X                                                                  side repeater
rear indicator                                                        rear indicator

The rear lights on both sides flick on when i switch the switch but immediately go back out, cant get them to stay on?!

The front indicators are not working at all. (units are new)
The dash lights are not working.
The blower is not working. (motor possibly seized)
the wipers are not working.  (motor possibly seized)
The horn is not working. (new horn)
The rear number plate lights are not working.

Any help what to do now? I will get a headlight bulb and hopefully then i might have 2 fronts working...

Re: Need help with electrics on my 1.3 1990

Reply #1
the heater-blower-motor can be unmounted very easy:
unscrew the passenger side shelf, and the foam below.
unlock the lever behind the blower motor, turn, pull and unplug.
you could check it on external 12v, now.

if there was corrosion,
you could put on the hazard warning light
and check the voltage near the plugs,
on the light bulb panels in the trunk.

sure, the radiator-fan-motor is connected to a fuse.

edit: rear indicator check